Too Much Sand For Mbuna Tank?

Stoty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
should i get rid of some? This is a 60 gallon tank. Thanks.

tank.jpg

thanks. I read that anything over 1 inch is excessive. Then again, Ive been reading a lot of strange things.

On another forum I've seen claims that having deeper sand runs the risk of toxic gas pockets developing, and that one should stir it up every week to help prevent this. I wouldn't know from practice, though, having only gravel in mine.

yeah thats what i heard. oh well. i can stir it up every time i do a water change. not a huge deal.

The "toxic gas" isnt toxic gas, fortunately. Stinks though.

Its anaerobic pockets. Material has broken down without the presence of oxygen, and it forms a type of sulphur. It stinks like rotten eggs, but its atually harmless. I get it in less than an inch under bogwood sometimes.

:)

I don't think it would cause any problems, but it does look a bit strange IMO.

malayan trumpet snails (MTS) would churn through that sand for you if youre worried about it.

just a thought.

what i was thinking :)

try some kuhlis, they will love the sand as they occasionally burrow into it.

or maybe a banjo carfish

Really? MTS? that is an interesting thought. I dont know how i feel about a bunch of snails in my tank but it is def always a thought. Would kuhlis be compatible with mildy aggressive/aggressive mbuna?

Really? MTS? that is an interesting thought. I dont know how i feel about a bunch of snails in my tank but it is def always a thought. Would kuhlis be compatible with mildy aggressive/aggressive mbuna?

In short......No :no:

If you have a good read around the forum you`ll find that synodontis catfish or bristlenose plecs of a decent size will move the sand around a fair bit when they search for food. They are generally the hardiest and can withstand/cope with the aggression levels of malawi/mbuna.
Khuli`s and otos etc are likely to be killed in a mbuna tank.

yeah thats what i figured. lol. im not interested synodontis or bristle nose plecos (plus impossible for me to find). Im thinking im going to try a RTBS at some point (when my mbuna get bigger) and see what happens. I heard it has a 50/50 chance of working out.

Most reactions

Back