Too Many Snails

binman69

Reaction score
I have had my tank now for 5 months its 110 lts it came with a huge common pleco who has now been re-homed at the local Dobbies, since he has gone the tank has been infested with snails, i have got rid of all the plants and put plastic in, some bog wood and various rocks.

10 x neons
2 x phantom tetras
2 x bristle nose
2 x yoyo loach
4 x male guppies
2 x sucking loach
1 x red claw crab

I have had my tank now for 5 months its 110 lts it came with a huge common pleco who has now been re-homed at the local Dobbies, since he has gone the tank has been infested with snails, i have got rid of all the plants and put plastic in, some bog wood and various rocks.

10 x neons
2 x phantom tetras
2 x bristle nose
2 x yoyo loach
4 x male guppies
2 x sucking loach
1 x red claw crab
To get rid of them, you can put a peice of lettuce clipped to the side of the tank, or put a slice of cucumber at the surface, when you wake up it'll be covered in snails, pick it out of the tank and bin it. :good:

Welcome to the forums, where abouts do you live? Intrested to know what Dobbies you use :p

I'd throw a few Assassin Snails in, they will soon destroy the pest snails! Then re-home the Assassins if you don't want to keep them :good:

Try reducing your feeding for a few weeks. Really your yoyo loaches should be eating the snails. They're not daft tho, if they can easily receive food from you they're not guna look around. Beware of your sucking loach! As they age they become more agressive and chase and even try to suck onto the side of your other fish. I have adopted enough sucking loaches to know! Even yoyos can be agressive. Botia striata, zebra loach, are a much better option.
I really wish shops would stop selling sucking loach to community aquariums!!!

On another note, can your red claw crabs get out of the water? They are not fully aquatic crabs and will drown if unable to leave the water. Be aware too that they are excellent escape artists

10 x neons
2 x phantom tetras
2 x bristle nose
2 x yoyo loach
4 x male guppies
2 x sucking loach
1 x red claw crab

That's too bad that you got rid of your plants. You can get rid of the snails or at least control their numbers without having to get rid of your plants. The thing with snails is they will lay eggs on anything so getting rid of the plants won't get rid of the snails. Plus the plants are great for cleaning the water and fish do much better with real plants. Hopefully you will give them a second chance. As Noahs ark6 stated, the lettuce is a good bait for snails.

10 x neons
2 x phantom tetras
2 x bristle nose
2 x yoyo loach
4 x male guppies
2 x sucking loach
1 x red claw crab
To get rid of them, you can put a peice of lettuce clipped to the side of the tank, or put a slice of cucumber at the surface, when you wake up it'll be covered in snails, pick it out of the tank and bin it. :good:

OOOOOOO I have the same problem. Excellent tip I'll try that tonight!

I have had this happen, seems like out of no where a tonne of snails appear. It can be over feeding, especially if you are over feeding any algie waffers or pellet pills for bottom feeders.

You could put a copper sulphate solution into the water. this is pretty drastic so should be a last resort to be honest as it will kill all invertibray off. It's more common to use this if your fish have 'velvet'.

you can also add salt which im told messes with the snails and stops their production, but be careful again due to not wanting to harm your fish.

You can also go with Assassin snails, but be prepaired for this to take a little while. My tank after 1 month (plus also my removing them when i see them) is now pretty clear.

One thing to think about is that having a few snails wont hurt. They are nature's dustbin and will help clear 'matter' from your tank. Personally I actually tend to almost control the cycle of snails to the tank. If I dont see many I will put a few extra waffers under my dead wood etc to encourage them a bit, get a few more born and have them working in the tank, with the Assassin's controlling just how many survive.

Hope that helps

Most reactions

Back