Today's a new day.

It's Monday. I found a really dirty, possibly many years old Aqua One Aquastyle 380 34L curved aquarium out the back from the science rooms. Very rare here, as it was discontinued many years ago. Teachers didn't use the aquarium anymore and is missing the lid. It needs a really good clean, but for now, it's at my high school and might have to ask my parents and the school first to get it. I assume the teachers left it to rot after a year or so. Same as the two large aquariums and now my former science teacher's 5 gallon here. I really need to save them from the elements. No cracks or chips on the aquarium itself, wondering how it survived that many years from being outside for so long.

I like finding old aquariums (and buying new ones) and probably use them for something special for the fish I might choose in the future. I didn't take a picture of the Aquastyle 380 unfortunately, like the 5 gallon I found a week ago. One man's trash becomes another's treasure. Finding aquariums and giving them new homes, to be exact.

Today's Tuesday. Had a normal school day. The day's normal. Never collected stamps and coins before, but I know older stamps/coins are much harder to find than anyone thought. @Colin_T, what things do you remember about stamp and coin collecting? I was wondering you joined some stamp/coin collecting clubs and showed your stamps and decimal coins to people who are interested in them. It may intrigue you but stamp collecting goes a long way as a hobby.

If I were a stamp/coin collector, what will I do? Preserve the rarer items and give them to people whom are interested in them? I might have to go to the local post to start a collection, if it could happen. I'm not ready for stamp collections like you were years ago. I'd love to collect stamps and coins, but not many people are interested in them. Even rarer is meeting an expert collector in the same city. I just need time to focus on collecting stamps as a second-hand hobby.

You might know Smits, a stamp and coin collecting shop from the London Court Arcade. They might have rare stamps in hand, so maybe it may interest you in collecting again. The rarer the stamps/coins, the more interesting they are. If there are other people with 1910s-1930s stamps in hand, I may get the stamps and get them new homes. Something like that. But who knows, a treasure trove may or may not come to me eventually. I wish I had the time and effort into collecting stamps, but it can be hard to find old stamps, which is going to be a problem.

I started collecting stamps when we got mail. Back in the day, before you were born, people used to send letters with stamps on. There were some really nice ones of different birds, fish or animals. Many of the stamps had Queen Elizabeth 2 on them. I started collecting the bird and animal stamps because they interested me. People found out I collected stamps and they would send letters to someone in the family but use a variety of cheaper stamps to pay for the letter.
eg: Letters cost 30cents to deliver so instead of putting a 30cent stamp on the envelope, they might put 6 x 5cent stamps on it.

Stamp collecting was quite common last century because there wasn't a lot of things to collect and stamps were cheap and quite often colourful, so a lot of people collected them. They didn't necessarily show them or go to stamp clubs but a lot of people had an old tin or box with various stamps in. Over time when people died they passed their stamp collections onto me or mum & dad, and I ended up with them.

As I collected more stamps I started looking for fish and bird stamps and they weren't that common. Sometimes the postal companies around the world did fish, bird or plant stamps and I would get them. At one of the ANGFA WA meetings we had a few fish stamps appear on the auction table and there was a bidding was between me and Ken Shaw (RIP Ken). We were bidding over a stamp with an Iriatherina werneri on it and Ken was meant to be running the auction but every time I bid, he bid higher just to drive the price up. Eventually I got up and went over to him and said stop it. He didn't and we kept bidding for a bit. Eventually I won. Straight after that he pulls out another stamp that was exactly the same and the bidding war was on again. It was fun :) but I miss Ken, he was a nice guy. :(

--------------------

As for coins, I started collecting them when I was little (5 or 6 years old). Dad came back from overseas and brought some overseas currency with him to give to us kids. I was fascinated by the coins made overseas. They were similar but different. Then I got a silver 50 cent coin from my grandmother and that really got me collecting. I used to look for $1 and $2 notes that were in perfect condition and kept them. Then I started getting the other notes ($5, 10, 20, 50) and started to notice different $1 and $2 notes had different people on them. I looked into them and they had different people on different notes.

We started off with paper notes and then went to the first plastic notes. The blue on the early plastic $10 note was stunning when new. Around the time they went to plastic notes they dropped $1 and $2 notes and replaced them with gold coins (they aren't actually gold they just look gold). Plastic notes were great because they didn't fall apart if you left your wallet in your pants when it got washed. The old paper notes didn't hold up too well to spending an hour in the washing machine.

I started collecting stamps when we got mail. Back in the day, before you were born, people used to send letters with stamps on. There were some really nice ones of different birds, fish or animals. Many of the stamps had Queen Elizabeth 2 on them. I started collecting the bird and animal stamps because they interested me. People found out I collected stamps and they would send letters to someone in the family but use a variety of cheaper stamps to pay for the letter.
eg: Letters cost 30cents to deliver so instead of putting a 30cent stamp on the envelope, they might put 6 x 5cent stamps on it.

Stamp collecting was quite common last century because there wasn't a lot of things to collect and stamps were cheap and quite often colourful, so a lot of people collected them. They didn't necessarily show them or go to stamp clubs but a lot of people had an old tin or box with various stamps in. Over time when people died they passed their stamp collections onto me or mum & dad, and I ended up with them.

As I collected more stamps I started looking for fish and bird stamps and they weren't that common. Sometimes the postal companies around the world did fish, bird or plant stamps and I would get them. At one of the ANGFA WA meetings we had a few fish stamps appear on the auction table and there was a bidding was between me and Ken Shaw (RIP Ken). We were bidding over a stamp with an Iriatherina werneri on it and Ken was meant to be running the auction but every time I bid, he bid higher just to drive the price up. Eventually I got up and went over to him and said stop it. He didn't and we kept bidding for a bit. Eventually I won. Straight after that he pulls out another stamp that was exactly the same and the bidding war was on again. It was fun :) but I miss Ken, he was a nice guy. :(

--------------------

As for coins, I started collecting them when I was little (5 or 6 years old). Dad came back from overseas and brought some overseas currency with him to give to us kids. I was fascinated by the coins made overseas. They were similar but different. Then I got a silver 50 cent coin from my grandmother and that really got me collecting. I used to look for $1 and $2 notes that were in perfect condition and kept them. Then I started getting the other notes ($5, 10, 20, 50) and started to notice different $1 and $2 notes had different people on them. I looked into them and they had different people on different notes.

We started off with paper notes and then went to the first plastic notes. The blue on the early plastic $10 note was stunning when new. Around the time they went to plastic notes they dropped $1 and $2 notes and replaced them with gold coins (they aren't actually gold they just look gold). Plastic notes were great because they didn't fall apart if you left your wallet in your pants when it got washed. The old paper notes didn't hold up too well to spending an hour in the washing machine.
Today's Thursday, Anzac Day. It's a public holiday and shops close during this time. I didn't come to a dawn service because I overslept. But Anzac Day is about honouring Australian Army soldiers during WWI and other conflicts.

---------------------------

Fascinating! Coins and stamps, especially rare ones, may hold historical significance. It was a good thing when you looked after the stamps and coins well pre-2016. I see Chinese Zodiac coins on FB Marketplace, which would be a good start to collect them. It's a new day for me, and just woke up in the morning.

How's your world going, Colin? Any important stuff going on?

Today's Thursday, Anzac Day. It's a public holiday and shops close during this time. I didn't come to a dawn service because I overslept. But Anzac Day is about honouring Australian Army soldiers during WWI and other conflicts.
dont forget about the kiwi soldiers too ;)

This is a painting I did for Anzac Day last year
IMG_3001.jpeg

It's a four day weekend due to Anzac Day and a pupil-free day on Friday. Just thinking about the 5 gallon I found a week ago and need to get a strong lid in case a betta may jump out of the tank. I was originally not interested in small tanks like that, but curiosity hit me in the back and I owned it.

For people that aren't Australian or New Zealand, ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

ANZAC day is for remembering fallen soldiers. It initially started out for the soldiers that died in WW1 but has since been expanded to remember all the soldiers that die during wars.

It's a four day weekend due to Anzac Day and a pupil-free day on Friday. Just thinking about the 5 gallon I found a week ago and need to get a strong lid in case a betta may jump out of the tank. I was originally not interested in small tanks like that, but curiosity hit me in the back and I owned it.
I assume the 4 day weekend is for students only and not the entire state or country?
The ANZAC day public holiday is today so there shouldn't be another one tomorrow.

How's your world going, Colin? Any important stuff going on?
Nothing happening in my world. Same stuff as usual. Bleeding all over the floor while I wait to get into the dermatologist to find out why my skin is falling off.
I have to close the unit up most of the time due to the easterly winds blowing dust over everything. I just sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting to die :(

I assume the 4 day weekend is for students only and not the entire state or country?
The ANZAC day public holiday is today so there shouldn't be another one tomorrow.
Yes, it's for students from my school only.
Nothing happening in my world. Same stuff as usual. Bleeding all over the floor while I wait to get into the dermatologist to find out why my skin is falling off.
I have to close the unit up most of the time due to the easterly winds blowing dust over everything. I just sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting to die :(
I hope you feel better... :( I could try and cheer you up because I'm planning to do something special for a betta and the 5.4 (approximately) gallon I found a week ago at school. It's not all doom and gloom in your world. You can make it, and you can do it. You just need the willpower. :)

I need to plan, and fast. The tank is not 'rubbish' as anyone else thinks, especially tanks that were once littered in public places by their former owners who didn't want them anymore. Dumping empty aquariums is not cool because it's illegal to dump things on public places in Australia because it could fall under 'littering'.

The Anzacs were brave, great comrades who fought for our country and New Zealand. Speaking of Anzac Day, have you tried Anzac biscuits?
It initially started out for the soldiers that died in WW1 but has since been expanded to remember all the soldiers that die during wars.
I thought Anzac Day was only about WWI soldiers. Now I realise it a day for soldiers who perished in ALL wars in modern history.

The Anzacs were brave, great comrades who fought for our country and New Zealand. Speaking of Anzac Day, have you tried Anzac biscuits?

I thought Anzac Day was only about WWI soldiers. Now I realise it a day for soldiers who perished in ALL wars in modern history.
I used to love ANZAC biscuits but they had wheat and gluten in so I don't touch them anymore. I was eating the Coles gluten free ANZAC bickies for a few years but they jacked the price up on them around Covid19 and they are too sweet now (way too much sugar in them).

Officially, ANZAC Day was and still is about WW1 but most people accept that it now covers anyone who served in wars and this is confirmed by the age of the veterans attending the memorials. They are anywhere from 100+ years old down to 20 years old and cover all the wars Australia has ever been involved in.

I used to love ANZAC biscuits but they had wheat and gluten in so I don't touch them anymore. I was eating the Coles gluten free ANZAC bickies for a few years but they jacked the price up on them around Covid19 and they are too sweet now (way too much sugar in them).

Officially, ANZAC Day was and still is about WW1 but most people accept that it now covers anyone who served in wars and this is confirmed by the age of the veterans attending the memorials. They are anywhere from 100+ years old down to 20 years old and cover all the wars Australia has ever been involved in.
When was the last time you went to an Anzac Day dawn service/breakfast?

--------------------

Awwwh maaaan I think we all know about that last sentence

Most reactions

Back