To vacume or not

cj786

Reaction score
I have read alot lately about not "cleaning gravel" while cycling a tank. I am not sure if this means don't vacume or something esle. I know the benificial bacteria grows in the gravel that will aid in the nitrogen cycle. But I also know the importance of removing waste and any left over food from the substrate. :/
Any Thoughts?

Your Absolutely Right :D :D On all counts.

However, the gravel does not hold as much bacteria as the filters. Can I assume you are doing a traditional cycle with fish? That is the only reason you would have waste in the gravel. If you want to do a simply "wave" of the syphon over the top, that will not hurt anything.

Where are you in your cycle? Can you give us the water peramiters? Depending on that, you may be able to do a regular water change. Won't be able to say for sure until I know that. :)

It is a small 5 Gal quarantine tank that is about 3 weeks in. It is a traditional fish cycle with 2 small red wags(1 inch each) and 1 small clown loach(half an inch). I don't have all the water params, however i know my ammonia levels are high and I've seen no sign's of nitrite yet. I've been doing 20% water changes for the past 3 days in a row to help relieve the ammonia problem while wiating for the benificial bacteria.

Well, you might have to accept the possibility that you will loose the Clown Loach. They are not at all hardy fish and the cycle may be too much. If he makes it through, I hope you have a bigger tank for him??? Also, they are schooling fish and should be in groups of at least 4. And I hope you are aware that they get up to 10" -_-

I guess I should ask, do you have any other tanks running that ARE cycled? If so, I say immediately take some of that filter media, which is FULL of bacteria, and put in in the 5g filter. This will almost instantly cycle the 5g for you. I'm really hopeing you have one, since this is a quarantine tank. ;)

If you don't already have one, I would immediately go get a test kit. Most of the master kits don't have a NitrAte test, so you will have to get that one seperate. It is the only way you will be able to keep track of your cycle. :nod:

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the clown loach but so far he is doing well. I also was under the impression through researching that they don't get bigger than 7 inches in captivity and up to 12 inches in the wild. In any case I have a 55 Gal tank that is 6 weeks old and is fully cycled. I also do have all the test kits I just don't have the water results with me here at work. I will be adding the 3 fish to my community this weekend as they have been in the quarantine tank now for 2 weeks. I will most likely get a couple of zebra danios to inhabit the 5gal and help in finishing its cycling. One question I had is when you said to bring some of the filter media from my cycled tank to the 5 gal filter, I'm not sure how to go about this(Probably a dumb question :blink: ) But my filters are cartridges that only fit the specific filter system. What part should be brought over?

No such thing as a dumb question :D You only need the floss part of the filter. If you have one that the floss "slips" over the plastic, then you dump in the carbon, pull the plastic out and simply cut the fabric in half (or to "size"). Then put it behind the filter in the 5g. If it's one of the blue ones that is "attached" to the plastic, just cut it off and place it behind. Be sure to knock off any loose carbon pieces so they don't get into your impeller and mess it up. :look:

The bacteria will attach itself to the filter in the 5g and.....VIOLA instant cycle. Now, with a 5g, you will have more trouble keeping it cycled when you remove the filter for changing. Do this everytime you change your filter, and no worries. I have a 10g fry tank that I do this too, and it has never recycled, even though I change the filter every 2 weeks or so. It's amazing how dirty fry can be :blink:

I'm glad to here you have good housing for the Clown. They are my BABIES, so I get kind of protective of them on a general basis :wub: :wub: I know of people who have them and they have grown to 8 or 10 inches. So, just realize they can get that big. They are slow growers, but also live for MANY years.

Thanks I'll try that when i get home. I have the blue filters that are attached.

I really love watching my existing Clown loach. He's very active and loves to swim with my other fishes (Balas,Swords) which from what I have read is unusual for clowns. I plan on adding 2more but I will just add the 1 from my quarantine tank first and wait a few weeks before adding the other 2.

Most reactions

Back