To Much Light

hi Sam dumb question time, when you say hc do you mean hemeianthus callitrichoides (cuba)? if not which plant regards john.

Oh ok thought you would have had T8s from the original setup, I guess they ain't as expensive as T5s anyway if that can be considered a consolation.

John, HC is Hemianthus calitrichoides you are correct.

Oh ok thought you would have had T8s from the original setup, I guess they ain't as expensive as T5s anyway if that can be considered a consolation.

John, HC is Hemianthus calitrichoides you are correct.

thanks zig regards john

I would reuse the T8 from the original set up had I not put them over my 20g! Doh! :X I'll get a pic up this eve so you can see whats going on.

Sam

Dave have a look in the 'science of aquatic lighting' forum :)

For those still interested, I swapped back to the T8's as of this evening. When comparing the two the T5's certainly don't look any brighter, and the midday and plant pros have a noticeable hue (green and pink respectively if I remember rightly) when compared to the white of the freshwater T8's.

Here's a pic of the HC as it currently is

dscf0121cropje1.jpg

Sam

Me being a total novice. I put in more Pot Sulphate whenever I see any yellow and it always seems to work (but then I am a dumbass. lol)

God bless America....I mean it....God bless the UK....I mean it....la di da da da

Sorry....Marillion in my ears again

Andy

It does look as if its hungry, but you grew such a rich carpet of it before that you know how much fert it needs. Guess it could be the lights considering it grew so well before. Hope it the light change sorts it out, it looked stunning in your tank before.

Thanks Liam :) very kind of you to say.

I would suspect a fert deficiency had the leaves been more fully grown, but the very small leaf size could be (well I'm hoping, as if its not its back to square one) a lack of light. Time will tell. I do have some K that I could add if needs be.

Sam

Thanks for the info Sam. I only ever really visit the Aquascaping forum on APC.

Your HC doesn`t look as bad as I thought it would, and it looks as if it may even be staying low and compact. You definitely have some kind of deficiency, which a fresh batch of ferts should remedy in no time. Hopefully you have got it cracked this time and the PFK prize is yours!

Dave.

P.S. I intend to start adding some Ferka K when I put some new HC in my 60l.

Cheers Dave, might start adding extra Fe as well, although would have thought the TPN would have been enough. I'll give the lights a few weeks to do their thing, and start changing things after than if there is no improvement. I'd very much like it not to be the light as I was hoping to use the EQJ rig over my 60lt when I get around to it!

Sam

Im running a 70w 8000k MH over my 30lt nano for 7hrs/ day, i havent had a problem with algae, but i do a have a tank full of stems and the co2 around 40ppm with the full ADA system. Id probably say its something to do with your fertilising, probably k

EDIT - just saw that your no3 / po4 levels are pretty high, thats probably contributing too

James

What makes you say that about the NO3/PO4 levels James? Im interested to hear you say that, someone else suggested lowering them a bit, but I still wouldn't think it would be creating that big a negative impact, could it?

Sam

EDIT - also if my NO3 and PO4 levers are so high, then surely mt K levels cant be low?

EDIT - I do have a fair bit of Salvinia in there which I guess could be sucking the K out? FYI its not shading out my HC either before anyone gets any ideas ;) as it all gets pushed to one end and the HC with no Salvinia above it is doing the same thing as the shaded stuff :p

Dave - I should add that it looks worse in real life, pics never show things as there are.

Most reactions

Back