Tight Schooling Fish For Ph Over 7?

Alps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
20g long tank
ph: 7.5-8

- i already have cardinals in this high a ph, but would rummies/fireheads be ok also?

- I would like harlequins, but the ones at the nearby petstores don't look too sharp

- any others that would school tightly and could do well or adjust to this high a ph?

thanks

Alps

I have neons in ph of 8-8.5 but theyre not very tight schoolers.

You could go with rummies, acclimatise them longer, and they'll be fine in the pH

A tight schooling species of fish is a myth. Mostly fish swim in a shoal for security reasons when they feel threatened. Yes they will form a shoal when first put into your setup but once they feel a little more secure then the odd one or two will venture outside the shoal an do their own thing, although they will regroup from time to time.
Try Lampeyes. (Aplochielichthys normanni) they should be fine in your parameters but they do prefer a little water movement.
Regards
BigC

I've kept my rummynose (Hemigrammus bleheri) in a pH of 7.5 for about a year and a half now with no losses. They are ALWAYS tight together and usually on the move.

GUPPIES CAN SCHOOL TO GETHER IN THAT PH BUT THEY DON'T SCHOOL TIGHT.

JIMMY

X-Ray Tetras (Pristella maxillaris) will do fine in hard alkaline waters as they are naturally occuring to brackish waters, which are very hard and alkaline.

harlequins.see if you can find another lfs. mine always seem to school together tightly.. will do fine in ph over 7, great lil fish.hardy too :

thanks for all the replies, i was gone for a day or two. Yah, I've been checking for rummies(fake) and harlequins, but only 2 of 4 stores even carry harlequins and they never look good. I'll check the x-rays and lampeyes in the lfs's. I should have plently of current as im using an emperor 280

Most reactions

Back