tiger barb

FrAnK3333

Fish Herder
Reaction score
what could i do to my tank to have some tiger barbs to live peaceful. Ive always wanted some and im considering on getting rid of the neons to maybe fot a couple in my tank. Suggestion would be great. The only thing is the clown stays (until he gets bigger)and the rams stay

The problem I see is that the barbs might attack the ram. Granted, rams don't have flowing fins, but they are large and comparatively slow. If it gets antagonized, then the rams probably won't come out of hiding.

General approach is schools of 6, perhaps larger depending on tank size and temperament.

Hi,

I am a big fan of Tiger Barbs, I have 10 in a specimen tank (wish I had more), I got a bigger tank so I could add other fish such as black skirt tetras but I never did the transition.

I have both species in separate tanks; it just seems so peaceful this way (I may introduce them later).

Tigers are fast and love to roam the entire tank, there fun though and go nuts at feeding time.
Be careful of the slow and intimidated fish when mixing Tigers.

For reasons given by previous posters, tigers aren't suitable tankmates to rams and are thus a bad choice, if that's what you're asking.

Chances are the rams can handle the barbs and keep them out of their territory, (they won't attack the rams, but as mentioned they roam the whole tank) but in a smaller tank the constant defensive position of the rams could prove too stressful. I'd avoid it.

They're not necessarily "bad". It is not as though they are out to hurt one another, but they are temperamental and apparently can't overcome the fin-nipping thing. :p

Do you want the tiger barbs especially, or could another type of barbs suffice?

actually my lfs has baby tiger barbs so what if the fish gorw up in the tank, and how many can put in tank minus the neons?

actually my lfs has baby tiger barbs so what if the fish gorw up in the tank
Tiger barbs are Tiger barbs, and they will grow. As young fish they'll learn to avoid the rams, but as they get older they'll realize how tough they are and forget the earlier lessons learnt.

True, I am speculating, because it's not something I would try myself, unless the tank was bigger (in which case I'd likely go for a bigger cichlid anyway)

Since six is the minimum most of us would put in a tank, I guess that is a guideline to go by.

However, as stated above, the smallness of the tank might become a problem once the barbs get older and bigger.

You might also have to move the betta fry, seeing as how they, too, might get attacked and/or eaten depending on the size.

Hi there, not sure about the size of your tank but tigers are active swimmers, as already said. I keep 7 tigers in my community tank and have no problems at all, they squabble among themselves. They are with....rams ,asst tetras, clown loaches and a royal plec and algae eater. I think tigers are gggrrrreat> :lol:

Frank,

All of my tigers are regular stripped juvies except for one albino. I tried them as a group of 6 at first in my community tank and they had to come out. They acted just like a little pack of street urchins, not mean, just very mischevious sneaking up on everybody and nipping at their tails. They did this constantly so, I moved them to their own tank. Any fish that I have tried to introduce to their tank has suffered the same fate and has had to be taken out.

I love my tigers but they are IME better kept to themselves. I know that some others have had better luck them with other fish but for me, a species tank has worked the best.

I would use my post as a great rationalization to get a another medium to large tank for Christmas and just put tigers in it. :kana:

I started my tank off with 4 tiger barbs. They were all ~ 1" in length (including tails). They acted as if they owned the place (well, they did). I had one male in the group that would harrass the other three to NO end. As soon as ONE went into hiding, he started after another one.

Solution? I bought TWO red-tailed tinfoil barbs. Each one is ~6-7" in length. Yeah, BIG BOYS. Was SO funny. Now, the four barbs are BEST of friends. All of them shivering in the top left corner occuping about 4 square inches of water. :rofl: The tinfoils leave them alone UNLESS they venture out of their "little box." Then they get chased down back to their box.

I know, I know. I am VERY MEAN for laughing at this. It's just funny to see the MACHO tiger barb get a taste of his own medicine. I'm going to give them another day to get adjusted, but I'm thinking I'll give the tinfoils back and get juvenile ones (~2" in length). We'll see. Two of the tiger barbs are SLOWLY starting to venture out near the tinfoils, but the other two (one of them being the MACHO male) do NOT move a bit.

Just thought I'd share an interesting story.

JT

I've had my 6 Tiger barbs for a month now and I also have to Blue Rams. The Tigers would continually harass them for the first week or so, but now for some reason the Rams are sticking up for themselves. They seem a lot more comfortable now. My Tigers are young, so who know's what will happen when they get bigger.

my tank is in my sig so based on whathas been told tigers are a no no in my tank. I can understand :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Most reactions

Back