Tiger Barb tank mates

Cories cannot be fed flake food, it is too high in protein (most is anyway). They must be fed suitable foods, such as Bug Bites, shrimp pellets, frozen daphnia, frozen or live shrimp. Not flake foods.
I feed my corys Bug Bites and Omega One pellets and small frozen foods. I'd continue to do that for any new corys I get. My concern is knowing that Tiger Barbs are voracious eaters, making sure that the Tigers don't eat the corys food as it sinks. I know I could feed the corys after lights out if I had to. But I would rather feed them during the day if I can.

I feed my corys Bug Bites and Omega One pellets and small frozen foods. I'd continue to do that for any new corys I get. My concern is knowing that Tiger Barbs are voracious eaters, making sure that the Tigers don't eat the corys food as it sinks. I know I could feed the corys after lights out if I had to. But I would rather feed them during the day if I can.

I never had a problem with this, but I know others have, or say they have. I always first put the upper fish's food in, then immediately I put in the sinking foods. The cories in their tanks and the loaches in their tanks never lost out.

I've been thinking about Melon barbs and Odessa barbs a lot. One of the things that I think would be good is that I wouldn't have to have quite so many.

I've been thinking about Melon barbs and Odessa barbs a lot. One of the things that I think would be good is that I wouldn't have to have quite so many.

This is problematic unfortunately. Pethia padamya attains almost 3 inches (7 cm) and is an active swimming. The 3-foot 40g is fine with no other similar fish, but not with the TB. Haludaria fasciata is similar if not identical in size, but perhaps not quite so active. On its own, it would be nice. Both of these need 8-10, with more always better, but given their gregarious nature this would do but all these are too crowded here.

This is problematic unfortunately. Pethia padamya attains almost 3 inches (7 cm) and is an active swimming. The 3-foot 40g is fine with no other similar fish, but not with the TB. Haludaria fasciata is similar if not identical in size, but perhaps not quite so active. On its own, it would be nice. Both of these need 8-10, with more always better, but given their gregarious nature this would do but all these are too crowded here.
Something that I didn't mention. As I've been thinking about this, I decided I would only have one barb species in the tank. So one or the other. If it's tigers, then 15. If it's Odessa or melons, then 10 or so. I'd like a bristlenose and corys in there as well. But I absolutely do not want to overcrowd the tank.

Something that I didn't mention. As I've been thinking about this, I decided I would only have one barb species in the tank. So one or the other. If it's tigers, then 15. If it's Odessa or melons, then 10 or so. I'd like a bristlenose and corys in there as well. But I absolutely do not want to overcrowd the tank.

Any one of the three barbs, fine, and in those numbers, also good.

The three barbs are upper fish. The cories are substrate fish, basically. Having the intended group of barbs, along with 15-20 cories, is not overstocking because the two groups of fish are occupying different levels. Numbers of individuals of the species (or in the case of cories, one or more species together) is the crucial factor, more than total numbers in the tank. If the numbers of each species is not sufficient to meet the fish's expectations, the ramifications on the biological system is greater because it situation is detrimental. Just taking numbers out of the air, 12 Odessa Barbs and 12 Melon Barbs is overstocking, considerably. But 12 Melon Barbs and 20 cories is no where near overstocking.

Any one of the three barbs, fine, and in those numbers, also good.

The three barbs are upper fish. The cories are substrate fish, basically. Having the intended group of barbs, along with 15-20 cories, is not overstocking because the two groups of fish are occupying different levels. Numbers of individuals of the species (or in the case of cories, one or more species together) is the crucial factor, more than total numbers in the tank. If the numbers of each species is not sufficient to meet the fish's expectations, the ramifications on the biological system is greater because it situation is detrimental. Just taking numbers out of the air, 12 Odessa Barbs and 12 Melon Barbs is overstocking, considerably. But 12 Melon Barbs and 20 cories is no where near overstocking.
I'll have a at least a fair number of plants and there will be some kind of fast growing column feeder, most likely floating. Which I think adds to the number of fish you can keep. Plus some hiding spots (mandatory for a bristlenose) and something to break up lines of sight.
If I had to choose between overcrowding or an insufficient school or shoal size, I'd either get a bigger tank or not get the fish at all.

Most reactions

Back