Three Of My Fish Just Died And One Has A Buoyancy Problem?

Aye it didn't sound good to be honest. How far have you got your 29 gallon set up?

Well, were in the process of upgrading our fireplace to withstand the weight of the 29 gallon tank, adding a few boards and supports here and there.

I'd imagine the aquarium be ready with water inside by late evening tonight, or tommorow afternoon eastern time.

Yes I'm afraid it sounds like your Guppy has passed on.

I'll leave you in Flutes capable hands, I'm off to bed. Good luck with setting up the new aquarium, and i'm sorry about your fish.

I'm sorry you lost another fish.

If you are adding sand to your aquarium don't forget to wash it first, and let as much sand settle as possible before adding your fish. Try and wait until the filter has cleared up the water as much as possible.

When you come to add your fish, don't just dump them in straight away. You need to get a bag of some sort, or a container that will float (Make sure it has no traces of soap on it first!) and float the fish in the tank until the temperature in the bag/container has adjusted to the same temp as the tank. I don't know if this needs to be done, and other members will correct me if I'm wrong, but it might be best to add small amounts of tank water to the bag/container first over a period of about an hour before releasing your fish. Make sure all tank lights are off, and don't feed them for now. Just leave them be to settle.

If, unfortunately you loose the rest of your fish, please don't buy any more before coming to the forum first, and we'll be able to guide you in setting up the tank in a more humane way.

It might be an idea to do another water change on the vase too whilst you wait for the tank.

I'm off to bed now so good luck, and I agree with RustedKnight (again :p), fair play to you for being this mature and taking responsibility for the fish your school has dumped on you.

I'm sorry you lost another fish.

If you are adding sand to your aquarium don't forget to wash it first, and let as much sand settle as possible before adding your fish. Try and wait until the filter has cleared up the water as much as possible.

When you come to add your fish, don't just dump them in straight away. You need to get a bag of some sort, or a container that will float (Make sure it has no traces of soap on it first!) and float the fish in the tank until the temperature in the bag/container has adjusted to the same temp as the tank. I don't know if this needs to be done, and other members will correct me if I'm wrong, but it might be best to add small amounts of tank water to the bag/container first over a period of about an hour before releasing your fish. Make sure all tank lights are off, and don't feed them for now. Just leave them be to settle.

If, unfortunately you loose the rest of your fish, please don't buy any more before coming to the forum first, and we'll be able to guide you in setting up the tank in a more humane way.

It might be an idea to do another water change on the vase too whilst you wait for the tank.

I'm off to bed now so good luck, and I agree with RustedKnight (again :p), fair play to you for being this mature and taking responsibility for the fish your school has dumped on you.

How often should I do a water change? I have a gravel cleaner (siphon) and I can use that with the two remaining female fish inside, can't I?

Or I can just net the fish out to another container while im doing the water change, but I'd imagine this would cause the two remaining fish even more stress.

Also, I'll probably buy more fish like gouramis or something else in a few days. Can you recommend me some nice tropical fish to get for my new 29 gallon. I like schooling fish and colorful fish.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

How often should I do a water change? I have a gravel cleaner (siphon) and I can use that with the two remaining female fish inside, can't I?

Or I can just net the fish out to another container while im doing the water change, but I'd imagine this would cause the two remaining fish even more stress.

Also, I'll probably buy more fish like gouramis or something else in a few days. Can you recommend me some nice tropical fish to get for my new 29 gallon. I like schooling fish and colorful fish.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

I'm afraid you will be unable to add any fish safely, especially gourami's until your tank has succesfully colonised the filter with good bacteria (Abacs and Nbacs)

It will be a few weeks, likely a month i'm very sorry to say.

And you will need to do a water change every day for a few weeks if there are fish in there, otherwise you will need to do a fishless cycle (no fish at all) and put fish food or another ammonia substance in the tank to feed the bacteria.

(i'm not getting very far with this sleep thing. And Flute don't make a habit of agreeing with me, it's dangerous for your health :D)

On the big tank? Daily I would say- hopefully a more experience member on the forum will be able to tell you a more precise amount. You wont have to take the fish out of the tank to do a water change or to clean the gravel. Can you do a water change on the vase without taking the fish out? Taking them out will add even more stress.

Please, please please don't buy any more fish! As I said before, if you do you will probably kill everything. Your tank is not cycled and so cannot support a large amount of fish. When, in several weeks time your tank will be ready for more fish, always research your fish before hand! Come and ask us first what would be suitable and what would not for your tank size, tank mates, etc.

Please take heed of what I am saying- I know its very exciting to set up a fish tank and very tempting to get new fish, but if you add more fish then you are making the whole situation even worse than it already is.

You're welcome, please just take the advice given :)

RustedKnight: Yeah I know what you mean, I'm supposed to be up at 7 and I'm still here typing away :hyper:

On the big tank? Daily I would say- hopefully a more experience member on the forum will be able to tell you a more precise amount. You wont have to take the fish out of the tank to do a water change or to clean the gravel. Can you do a water change on the vase without taking the fish out? Taking them out will add even more stress.

Please, please please don't buy any more fish! As I said before, if you do you will probably kill everything. Your tank is not cycled and so cannot support a large amount of fish. When, in several weeks time your tank will be ready for more fish, always research your fish before hand! Come and ask us first what would be suitable and what would not for your tank size, tank mates, etc.

Please take heed of what I am saying- I know its very exciting to set up a fish tank and very tempting to get new fish, but if you add more fish then you are making the whole situation even worse than it already is.

You're welcome, please just take the advice given :)

RustedKnight: Yeah I know what you mean, I'm supposed to be up at 7 and I'm still here typing away :hyper:

Someone in an earlier post, maybe you, told me that it's not possible to do a fishless cycle with my new tank, so do I just put in two females in there and change the water every day around 50 percent or just let it cycle for 3 - 4 weeks?

Yes that's right, no other fish in that time though, just the remaining two females. You will have to do daily water changes in order for it to cycle. You can't just leave it to it's own devises otherwise the fish will be poisoned and die.

I don't know if you'll have to do multiple daily water changes, but I do know that you'll have to do at least 1 50% change a day. Just need another member to clarify it for you :)

And now, I really am going to bed. Good luck :)

Yeah your females will have to go in, they have no other place to go. Which is why a fishless cycle is impossible for you.

Yes change the water every day, 40-50% making sure your filter and heater are turned off during the change, and back on after.

Your fish will be okay in the tank whilst you change their water, they'll just be a little shy.

You will need to repeat this likely every day for those 3-4 weeks. Doing a cycle is hard work, we've all been through it.

You will need a testing kit, they come in 2 types, liquid kits and testing strips. A liquid kit is best, but a strip will suffice if money is an issue.
You will then need to test every day after your water change.

Not sure if the op is aware but the water must have dechorinator added, please don't use plain tap water. :look:

So what, I need to do this for the next 4 weeks for just these two fish, and then when I want to add more, I have to wait another 4 weeks?

Wow.

you will have to wait untill there is enough friendly bacteria in your filter to support more fish. In the nicest possible way and the most directly speaking if you add more fish they will die! you need patience in fishkeeping and the biggest test is to hold back on throwing fish in the tank. Do as stated and start a fish in cycle with what you have.

So what, I need to do this for the next 4 weeks for just these two fish, and then when I want to add more, I have to wait another 4 weeks?

Wow.

Not quite.

You need to only have these 2 fish in this tank for 4 weeks, roughly.

After that point, your tank should be succesfully set up, and you are free to add fish.

I woke up this morning today, sick, and I didn't go to school.

I also discovered that the remaining two female guppies have passed away.

RIP

So, do I do a fishless cycle now, or?

Most reactions

Back