Thinking Of Setting Up A Small Tank

Halfsleeve

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All hope this is the right place to start, I have kept fish for 10+ years, and currently run a Trigon 190 with 4 discus and a few other fish. The reason for this thread is the more I look at these stunning reef tanks the more i want one.Now before I get flamed read the FAQ's I used to keep marines for many years in a large tank so I do know whats involved, I just need a few pointers as it feels like times have changed.

Im going to go for a smallish tank that is capable of housing some good T5 marine tubes or whatever is suitable as I would like to have some soft corals etc, can someone recommend a tank size sort of Nano-ish etc.
Again from what I understand now Live Rock and Sand can be used for the filtration, you require a good powerhead(s) to aid flow around this rock.
I have an RO filter so again a good thing right?.
What percentage of water do you change? weekly, monthly etc.

Any advice very welcomed

Well if you want a small tank with corals etc i would say a 20 gallon you could go smaller if you want but 20 is a nice size nano. You wont need a skimmer on a tank this size (if your wondering). RO water is the best water you can get. Use the RO water. I would do a 20-30% water change a week. It says "LR and sand" if that means LS then you wont need it the LR will be all you will need, with lots of turnover from powerheads. I think its 12-15 times an hour. you seem to know a bit and i hope someone can give some more info!
AQUAKING

Some of the more popular nano tanks are the 20long, the 12g or 24g nano cube, or the standard 30 gallon tank. Nano cube assemblies tend to come with lighting, some powerheads, and some filtration depending on the assembly and are a good start for a smaller tank.

Some of the more popular nano tanks are the 20long, the 12g or 24g nano cube, or the standard 30 gallon tank. Nano cube assemblies tend to come with lighting, some powerheads, and some filtration depending on the assembly and are a good start for a smaller tank.

Thanks guys for the responses I have seen some nice cube shaped all in one tanks but the light units worry me, this is why i was thinking of going for a basic tank and adding a DIY hood to allow for T5's, if available can anyone recommend an all in one tank with good lights?.

Ok just got back from one of my local fish shops and have seen a pretty nice cube tank but it only holds 40L is this a bit to small?.....It really is quite pleasant on the eye
Aqua-Qube 40
Capacity 40 lts
Size 33cm*33cm *40cm
Filter Included Filter Included
Light 11watts Light 18 watts

Attachments

• 7d50_1_1_.jpg
    7d50_1_1_.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 67
Ok just got back from one of my local fish shops and have seen a pretty nice cube tank but it only holds 40L is this a bit to small?.....It really is quite pleasant on the eye
Aqua-Qube 40
Capacity 40 lts
Size 33cm*33cm *40cm
Filter Included Filter Included
Light 11watts Light 18 watts

My tank has 36 Litres and is a good tank. in the i've got 2 clown fish, 2 hermits, 4 snails, 6 beadlet anenomes and a tube anenome. That tank looks really nice. how much is it?

they want £54 with filter and light unit which i thought was pretty good, all i would worry about is the light unit, prob not could enough for soft corals.

they want £54 with filter and light unit which i thought was pretty good, all i would worry about is the light unit, prob not could enough for soft corals.

seems very reasonable. Theres a few on ebay selling for a bit less. What strength are the lights in it?

Cheers I may go buy this then can anyone recommend a good power head

Most reactions

Back