Thinking About A Skimmer For A 24g Nano

gigmeyer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm considering a skimmer for my 24g Nano as green hair algae and cyano bacteria continue to be a problem despite increasing water flow to 30x and using other methods like large water changes and adding Rowaphos (is 2 TB enough???) to filtration. This may be a temporary situation as my understanding is that it should not be necessary in a tank this size with regular water changes, but I figure it may help me through this algae/cyano phase.

Since new skimmers are coming on the market all the time, what do you think is the best skimmer available for a tank this size today? The last time I looked Dr's Foster and Smith was recommending the AquaC Remora. Kinda pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. Note: I have a fission Nano, but conventional wisdom seems to indicate that it is useless.

I'm considering a skimmer for my 24g Nano as green hair algae and cyano bacteria continue to be a problem despite increasing water flow to 30x and using other methods like large water changes and adding Rowaphos (is 2 TB enough???) to filtration. This may be a temporary situation as my understanding is that it should not be necessary in a tank this size with regular water changes, but I figure it may help me through this algae/cyano phase.

Since new skimmers are coming on the market all the time, what do you think is the best skimmer available for a tank this size today? The last time I looked Dr's Foster and Smith was recommending the AquaC Remora. Kinda pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. Note: I have a fission Nano, but conventional wisdom seems to indicate that it is useless.

have you checked out the Sapphire Aquatics skimmer for NC24g? It fits in the 1st or 2nd chamber and you dont need to mod anything. You should run Rowaphos all the time in your tank even if you dont see any algae but in your case you should, I have about 4-5 table spoons full in a bag and change it evey 3-4 weeks. Take some air hose and syphon the Cyano up as much as you can and dimm your lights with an hour or so and you'll see it will go away... also if your feeding any micro-invert food like phyto or simmilar try to cut back a bit for a week or 2 and you'll will see the difference. Good luck.
Cheers.

DSC01652.jpg

Since my tank does not have an integrated cover, I'd like an HOB skimmer. Does anyone have any experience with the AquaC Remora Nano skimmer? It seems large enough to be effective (6" L x 2.75" W x 16" H) and is powered by reasonably sized pump (Maxi Jet 900-230 GPH).

Most reactions

Back