Think I have a pest snail issue???

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Yes I over feed this tank, a little, and on purpose, as I have Coolie loaches living in the basement… I can work on this tank like normal, because it’s built in, and viewable from 3 sides, so I have to do everything from above one of the ends… they don’t really bother me, but I did put assassins in the tank, and either they are helping eat the excess food, or the pond snails are reproducing too quickly, either way, now I have hordes of assassins as well as pond snails… I did a deep cleaning on half the tank substrate a couple weeks ago, and besides sucking up a bunch, I must have pushed a survival instinct, as they all came out of the rocks, and laid eggs… I pick them out as I can ( mostly from servicing my filter, and drop them into my puffer’s tank
IMG_5466.jpeg

Hello Magnum. Aside from regular vacuuming and reducing the amount you feed, you could start a more aggressive water change routine. Then, there's the old fashioned "wooden spoon" remedy. You can simply crush the shells with the spoon and allow the fish to clean up everything, but the shells. The shells will eventually dissolve in the tank water. The spoon thing is a bit drastic and not one that I would recommend personally.

Most reactions

Back