They Just Flip Over & Die?

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Now I don't understand this.... I watch my "healthy" Albino corys just flip over and die????

They swim around feeding as happy as "a fish in water" (sic) and then just in an instant..... They flip over & die???

Anyone seen this before??..... No symptoms, Nothing!!!... they simply flip over & die??

The 5 x peppered Corys are fine, but out of 5 Albinos I got yesterday, I currently have only 2 left.... They're in the same tank.

It's nothing I've seen before. Are you sure all your water parameters are good? Fish act funny if their water isn't right.

It's nothing I've seen before. Are you sure all your water parameters are good? Fish act funny if their water isn't right.

There are also Angels, Orange Chromides, Peppered Cories, Pink Kissers, 1 Siamese Male and 1 Krib in there....... Why would it target the Albino Corys exclussively??? (a full water change was done about 10 days ago - before adding any fish in there....... Tank was set up about 6 months ago.

it's generally a water quality issue. Perhaps the cories came from completely different water to the tank they are now in. Otherwise the fish might have been duds (crap fish) before you got them and they are just in a weakened state. The move stressed them enough to wipe them out. Ask the LFS if they were recently imported and how long they had been in the shop tanks.

randomly asking, your heater couldent be putting out a very low voltage shock, low enough to just annoy your other fish but enough to kill a smaller and more stressed fish?

This is a tough one and short of doing an autopsy you'll probably never find out.

But, as Colin_T said it could be water conditions and stress.

Also, if they are wild caught, I've read that some collectors use cyanide to stun the fish which then float to the surface. Needless to say, cyanide isn't good for fish.

It could be a PH problem, the PH shouldn't vary more than .2 points per day.

Have your water conditions checked and see how long the lfs had them in their tanks and get their water stats.

It hurts when this happens but sometimes there's nothing you could have done to prevent it.

Sorry for your loss.

I pulled out a deep rooted amazon sword in that tank tonight, and the disturbance of the gravel had another of my remaining Albinos float on its back within 30 seconds......

I immediately did a 90% water change and he is back to normal...... So to me it would seem to be something... (amonia levels) trapped in the gravel.

I got another tank prepared with no substrate to move the corries into at the weekend.

That sounds like a good idea. There may be something in the gravel that is not affecting the other fish because they don't spend their time disturbing the gravel.

I pulled out a deep rooted amazon sword in that tank tonight, and the disturbance of the gravel had another of my remaining Albinos float on its back within 30 seconds......

I immediately did a 90% water change and he is back to normal...... So to me it would seem to be something... (amonia levels) trapped in the gravel.

I got another tank prepared with no substrate to move the corries into at the weekend.

I strongly suggest that you buy a Python and use that to clean the substrate. If you stick it deep into the gravel it will suck out all the crap. Go slow though so you don't stir it up too much as it seems that's what is causing your grief.

Good luck.

I strongly suggest that you buy a Python and use that to clean the substrate. If you stick it deep into the gravel it will suck out all the crap. Go slow though so you don't stir it up too much as it seems that's what is causing your grief.

Good luck.

Yes thanks...., but ye know... Pythons are indigenous around here, so I'll need a license to keep one...

:lol:

what substrate do you have and how are you cleaning it?

it wont be electricity, u can count that out. Anything strong enough to kill fish in a tank would trip out your fuses. Plus you'd have to have something much stronger than a heater, filter or minilight in there. Like a tv or vacuum :p

I have seen this happen to cories when i carried out a water change, forgetting to add dechlorinator. In your case it sounds like you could well have anaerobic bacteria in the gravel, and when it is disturbed it releases the gas, leading to your cories deaths. If this is the case you need to get it sorted, as eventually it could kill the rest of your fish.

Most reactions

Back