They Just Flip Over & Die?

The 2 most likely problems would be gas in the substrate and ph. I have gotten fish that only 1 out of 10 acclimated to my ph. It could be a combination of conditions. These fish had their wirst reactions after water changes.

A bare bottom tank seems like a good move. After the fish are moved stir up all the substrate well. Also check your ph. If it is very high, a separate tank with peat or black water or something might help the new fish.

I got some wc retuculatus recently that just stressed. Out of six 1 one was dead overnight in the bag. 2 more died in the next two days. I had a large shipment of fish. Only the reticulatus had trouble. Another time I got 12 or so wc African butterfly barbs and 12 galaxies. They went in the same tank. The barbs died one at a time within the week. My galaxies have multiplied, and I have lost none.

The barbs were due to stress and ph/acidity I am sure. The reticulatus are just a very sensitive fish that don't travel well.

Actually aquarium bred fish like albinos are least likely to be able to adapt to varying conditions. Wild caught fish are generally much more adaptable.

Also fish may well adapt over time to poor water conditions while a new fish will not tolerate it a it. The old tank fish will not then do well to suddenly improved water conditions.

The 2 most likely problems would be gas in the substrate and ph. I have gotten fish that only 1 out of 10 acclimated to my ph.

That's one more reason to buy your fish from a reputable local fish store that quarantines the fish for at least 1 week in local water. If they're gonna die from different water conditions let them do it there (somehow that came out sounding cold and cruel).

Of course, you still need to make sure about all of the other conditions, temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc. But at least you can rule out pH.

I just lost 7 panda corys, all after they had been swining wround fine, with no signs of ditress. I have never been able to keep any cories in me tank. I started the tank over 5 years ago, with some salt (not much). The nitrate levels have remained rather high, and the water is hard. I guess that is just a very bad combo for corys, plus I can't seem to keep my tank below 80 degrees (goes between 79 to 81 day to day). I loved those pandas, but I'll never buy corys again. They never survive with me.

The 2 most likely problems would be gas in the substrate and ph. I have gotten fish that only 1 out of 10 acclimated to my ph.

That's one more reason to buy your fish from a reputable local fish store that quarantines the fish for at least 1 week in local water. If they're gonna die from different water conditions let them do it there (somehow that came out sounding cold and cruel).

This is off subject, but some fish just are not available from the local lps. The butterflies were a long shot. They are considered the "holy grail" of the African barbs and very rare.

The others I got from a breeder with different water than me, and the fish also are not available generally in the lps. When they are the quality can be seconds or the bonifides iffy. Some fish from the breeder did really well, others had lots of trouble. It had to do with the genetic requirements of the fish I imagine. The recent finds in the hobby don't always go straight to the lps.

But I believe you are correct. I do get my common community fish just to watch and not breed from the lps. But the challenge is wild caught breeding, imo.

I hope you didn't take my post as criticism because it wasn't. It was just an observation.

But the challenge is wild caught breeding,

Agreed. But I purchased 9 wild caught C. atropersonatus from a lfs that had em quarantined. Only 1 died, but at least I know it wasn't (probably) different water conditions. Of course, if your lfs doesn't import wild caught fish then my point is moot.

I just lost 7 panda corys, all after they had been swining wround fine, with no signs of ditress. I have never been able to keep any cories in me tank. I started the tank over 5 years ago, with some salt (not much). The nitrate levels have remained rather high, and the water is hard. I guess that is just a very bad combo for corys, plus I can't seem to keep my tank below 80 degrees (goes between 79 to 81 day to day). I loved those pandas, but I'll never buy corys again. They never survive with me.

I guess that is just a very bad combo for corys,

That sir, is an understatement! All the conditions are just wrong and will stress the Cories. Nitrate poisoning is a slow process that will certainly kill eventually, sooner than later with stressed Cories.

If you don't really need it, lose the salt. You can lower the pH using peat moss, but if your water is naturally really hard then that becomes an on-going issue. Control the Nitrate with weekly water changes and live plants. The temp isn't a problem for certain species and in fact species like C. atropersonatus like breeding in temps of 81 - 84 F and a pH of 5 - 7.5. So all is not lost. You just need to do a little research, change a few things and get the right Cories for your setup.

Cheers..

As jollysue stated, a bare tank is the way to go when you get in new fish. There is a reason quar tanks are a spartan setup, you eliminate variables.

If you pulled a plant, and it caused a problem it is pointing you in the right direction, it's probably something in the substrate. I don't do plants, probably because most all of my tanks are bare, so I would have no idea as to what plant substrates or fertilizers might do in a situation such as this.

When I get fish in I do a huge water change in their quar tank, as close to 100% as possible, 24 hours before getting them. I can't think of any fish that prefers dirty water over clean, it eliminates yet another variable.

CoryDad: I did not take it as a critisizism at all. I still see that not all fish are available at the lps, wc or aquarium bred. My lps does indeed get wc, but neither they nor I know a thing about them. My primary supplier of wc breeding stock and aquarium bred stock not only knows the suppliers but also the catchers and breeders and visits them in SA and Africa to make sure everyone is on the same page. He gets a first choice of the fish coming into the country through Florida. There are many reasons getting fish at the local lps is a good choice, but there are many reasons to get them from other sources as well, imo.

I doubt very much if Tolak gets his breeders from the local lps--maybe the local Breeders Club.

If I could get Frank Falcone to ship me some of his breeders, I would jump at it, and I challenge you to find their like at your lfs.

Most reactions

Back