The Right Gear

squishy_1984

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am saving up a little a week for my new tank.
I will be buying each piece of equipment when i have saved the money, its going to take me about 6 months to get the tank up and running. Its going to be this years project.
I would like any opinions on the equipment iam using and can anyone think of any thing else for my tank.
Its going to be a heavily planted community tank
HAve planned on getting a

Juwel Rio 240
Fluval 305
Fluval 4
Hydor Co2 System
Upgraded lighting system + Reflectors
Visitherm Heaters (2 @ 150w)
Rena air 200
And the moonlights (LED) off ebay.

Would this work and am i missing anything?????

Thanks in advance

Jon

Sounds fine, with the following provisions:

Do you really need the Fluval 4 ? The Rio 240 has the Juwel internal filter and you've got the external fluval 305 as well. Should be fine.

Have you thought about substrate ? If you're going for the CO2 system for plants, you'll need to get a fertilized substrate of some sort (from the cheap pea gravel with laterite, through to eco-complete).

If you are on a tight budget, have you thought about getting second hand ? I got a Rekord 70 with stand off ebay the other day for £33. A bargain! :D

how much am i looking at for the substrate and what would you advise. I wanted a gravel about 2-3mm in diameter
good point on the filter, forgot about the juwel one.

No not on a budget. Just trying to avoid MTS by taking a long time building and stocking.
Any other suggestions

You can make do with 2-3mm pea gravel and mix in a substrate fertilizer mix, but there are loads of options out there. Flourite and Eco-Complete are probably the most popular complete fertilized substrates for planting. JBL make one as well. www.aquaessentials.co.uk are a good place to look for different option pricing (look under both substrates and gravel).

Swap the fluval for a Eheim, fluval are cheap tat and will eventually let you down. I also wouldnt recomend a juwel tank but thats a personal feeling about the tanks, having owned two id never waste my money on one again.

Swap the fluval for a Eheim, fluval are cheap tat and will eventually let you down. I also wouldnt recomend a juwel tank but thats a personal feeling about the tanks, having owned two id never waste my money on one again.
Hi CFC! Was jus interested when you said you dont like juwel tanks. My 2 tanks are made by juwel and ive had the 60 gal for 3 years.
TBH i wouldnt really know what else to buy, i am sure that there are loads but i wouldnt know where to begin! As i am on the hunt for a new tank (not sure wat size - nothing over 60 gal) what would you say were good? What dont you like about Juwel? Thanks! :thumbs:

ive heard the plastic bar under the light breaks but on the newer juwel tanks i thought thet were easily replacable.

Could i silicone a piece of plastic underneath it to stregnthen it to make sure it doesn't break

ive heard the plastic bar under the light breaks but on the newer juwel tanks i thought thet were easily replacable.

Could i silicone a piece of plastic underneath it to stregnthen it to make sure it doesn't break
Wonder how it would break? Wat would you have to do to it? Sit on it? :lol: I honestly cant see how it would break under normal working conditions... Have you got a juwel JonDawg? What do you think of them?

i dont have one i will be getting one. I was refering to a post i read before. Cant quite remember the problem but im sure thats what it was.

I have a fluval 800 at the mo but want to set up a juwel rio 240.
Just need opinions on my choice of equipment before i commit myself

Oh right, i see. Ive had a juwel vision 260 for 3 years with no bother at all. I know that the 240 is identical only with a flat front (as you know too im sure). My friend used to have one.
About this bit breaking under the lamp... Im stumped. Honestly, i dont know how it would break. If you had a look at one yourself, youd probably wonder the same thing.
The person must have been standing on it to change a light bulb or something

:S

Id say too that if you want another filter id go for the Eheim 2236 Ecco, ill be getting one soon but i know them to be an excellent filter although they are about £65. For the extra £25-30 over the fluval i think it would be worth it!

Most reactions

Back