The office tank (Planted 75G)

vince82

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Brand new tank :) It's a 75G Seapora, home made very overbuilt stand, and it replaces my old 60G breeder that had an issue with silicon and was retired. Will reseal it (and maybe sell it?) when I have time.

So this is 1 week in, tank is dirted (regular potting soil mixed with fine gravel and some fertilizer pellets) and covered with a layer of pool filter sand. All plants are ported over from the previous tank, with the exception of some althernanthera and some hygrophila rosanervig, but they are in the back and they are tiny so far.
Fish: 1 cory and 1 red cherry shrimp that have been put in as a "test", will introduce other fish gradually. Eventually it will be
  • corydoras (8-10)
  • otocinclus (8-10)
  • emperor tetras (15-20)
  • red cherry shrimp (hopefully many)
  • angel fish (3-5)
I am aware the tetras and the angelfish both predate on the shrimps, but I'll waiting for the colony to be large before I introduce them.
Since this is basically migrating an older tank, the Tetras are temporarily in a 10 gallon, the corys otos and shrimp are in another 10 gallons, the angels haven't acquired them yet.

PXL_20240423_231851156.jpgPXL_20240423_231907122.jpg

PXL_20240423_231919093.jpgPXL_20240423_231937181.jpg

PXL_20240423_231932124.jpgPXL_20240423_231925051.jpg

stand structure (before the outside plywood)
PXL_20240412_021514334.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240423_232022930.jpg
    PXL_20240423_232022930.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 13
our Tank of the Month contest for May will feature tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. You should enter that tank.

Be very careful using normal potting mixes in aquariums. They often contain sewerage or blood and organs, which can cause ammonia readings and pollute the water as they break down. Some also contain slow release fertiliser that will release ammonia for up to 6 months. In the end the potting mixes usually go anaerobic and stop releasing any nutrients.

Make sure you monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Be very careful using normal potting mixes in aquariums.
When I undid the 60g which was also dirted it did not have the specific bad smell tipical of rotting substrates. It did have a little funk, but within reason.
It does however release tannins.

Make sure you monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
I check semi regularly. Tank is under stocked, overfiltered, full of plants, I do check but I am not worried. Usually I have problems with lack of nutrients, not excess of it.

I just spent 6 hours designing a planter that fits into my tank and is discreet yet big enough for my large peace lily:
(yes I also have a real job, no I had never designed anything before, also I am home sick today so it's a good indoor activity)
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 6.51.00 PM.png

Now sent to a friend with 3d printer :) Hopefully I took my measures right

The only thing I can make for a 3D printer is tank lid clips 😆. It looks like a great and thought out design though!
Personally I'd just use egg crate and zip ties as its the only way I know how

Maybe go to a plant nursery or hydroponics sore and see if you can find a triangle pot for a plant. Then drill holes in it. You can buy hydroponic cages that look similar to your design but they are usually round or square.

Maybe go to a plant nursery or hydroponics sore and see if you can find a triangle pot for a plant. Then drill holes in it. You can buy hydroponic cages that look similar to your design but they are usually round or square.
I was thinking more like a plastic shower caddy from Dollarama

Most reactions

Back