The Magical Appearing Baby Fish

suzee

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to trpoical fish keeping and haven't bought any fish yet but we do seem to have one!!

We've set up our tank up, heater, filter etc. done eveything the instructions say. We bought various plants, one of which came from the piranha tank. On Wednesday evening we spotted the teeniest tiniest fish we've ever seen. It must've been an egg in one of the plants?!?

I don't know what to do, I was meant to get fish this weekend but now too paranoid incase the wee one gets eaten but am also worried it grows up to be a piranha and eats all the other fish.

Any advice what I should do, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Suzee

I'm sure someone more experienced will come along and post better help than me, but maybe you should post this in the "Emergencies" section, too. Chances are it might not survive anyway. Have you cycled your tank yet?

Yea will try and get pic when get home, in work just now.

Thanks

Hi Betta,

Is cycling the tank when you have plants, filters etc but no fish? If thats the case then set up tank 16th Mar and added few plants, added more plants 1 week later, then found baby fish Wednesday there.

Will put in emergencies too thanks.

Suzee: Its entirely possible you got an egg on a new plant. There are lots of fish that lay eggs there. Keeping it alive is another whole challenge because you have not cycled your tank yet and the young fry you have will not survive you doing a "fishless" cycle. That s why they call it fishless.
To understand cycling try a read here
[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/[/URL]
Its not just setting the tank up but is a process to establish beneficial bacteria so that your tank will not get a toxic buildup from fish wastes and any food that the fish don't eat rotting. A single fry will not be enough of a fish load to allow a fish in cycle either. I would suggest that if you want to keep the fry to find out what it is and enjoy the challenge of raising it your first step is a separate small container so you can care of the fish while doing a fishless cycle.

Did you ever find out what the mystery fish was? Any pictures yet?

I'm curious to know now as well!! lol

Most reactions

Back