Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gravel

• A mix of both

• bare glass

• Total voters
I've tried both sand and gravel, but i always prefer the look of gravel and from my experience plants prefer growing in gravel. But that said fish like corys and botias defineately love sand!!

Suppose it depends on the size of the gravel, the roots of some of my plants rotted in sand whereas in gravel all the fish poo and food that gets in the gravel acts as a compost for the plants!! Maybe i had the wrong sand!! -_- My fish seem to love their natural looking gravel and my loaches love to dig up the gravel and hide in it!! Yeah Gravel!!!

Sand. Easier to clean, looks more natural, and my cichlids love to dig it up. I had gravel with the cichlids before, and they would dig it, but not nearly as enthusiasticaly as they do with the sand.

All depends on the fish you are keeping, some do better with sand some do better with gravel and plants do best with a mixture of both and a few more additives.

Just did my first sand tank, and I LOVE it. I used playground sand and and sprinkled some river rock gravel on top.

My next tank will be black sand. :nod:

Howsabout if ur keeping discus. They need REALLY clean enviornments.and i should be getting discus soon so i voted bare.but...I have sand in my 20.and gravel in my 35 :/

I agree that sand looks better and is easier for the filter to pick up wastes. However, my complant is that it has broken every filter I have used with it. -_-

Most reactions

Back