The Chemicals In Liquid Test Kits

pscl227

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got my first liquid test kit the other day, and have so far run through all the tests it includes with great care after seeing all the hazard and toxic signs on all the bottles.

My question is how dangerous are the chemicals in these kits? I wore rubber gloves the other day when using it, am i being over protective, or should i get some goggles and a gas mask too, lol :hyper:

From what I understand you just want to refrain from getting the chemicals in your eyes and mouth. It is probably a good idea to wash your hands after use but I really don't think gloves are necessary. Though most of the chemicals are caustic they do not pose serious threats if used properly. You know how sue happy people can get... those excessive warnings are there to warn us but also to protect the company from some idiot who decides to drink it or pour it on his face. So test away and don't get too worried!! :)

don't worry, i have spilled this garbage ALL OVER my hands and nothing happend. my blister stung a little but nothing life that could kill you.
still, don't trust me, i could be wrong and i have a really tough body.

From what I understand you just want to refrain from getting the chemicals in your eyes and mouth. It is probably a good idea to wash your hands after use but I really don't think gloves are necessary. Though most of the chemicals are caustic they do not pose serious threats if used properly. You know how sue happy people can get... those excessive warnings are there to warn us but also to protect the company from some idiot who decides to drink it or pour it on his face. So test away and don't get too worried!! :)

yes i agree, everything has these warning signs on them these days they wont harm you unless in your eyes and mouth etc as said.
if you wash your hands after spilling any on them then theyre will be no problem.

but obviously if it gets in your tank then thats a different matter :crazy:

Add cuts and under your fingernails to the list of places you don't want it. One of the bottles has a strong acid (Hydrochloric, if I remember right). I've gotten it on scrapes and under my fingernails and it burned something horrible. Rinsing in water made it burn worse, but at least it quit after a few minutes.

At least one of the bottles has phenol, but none of them are going to eat holes in your hands, just rinse them well in clean water if you get any on you.

Anything in high concentrations can kill you, even water. Like that lady who died from overdosing on water for some radio contest. I personally would use gloves but I already have exema + contact dermatitis so even touching grass = rash.

yeah i've never used gloves or anything like that, but do wash my hands after use and take care not to spill. Also those with kids remember you should treat your test kit like you'd treat medicines or strong cleaning products, locked away out of reach of children. :nod:

Not sure on the effects to humans - probably not a good idea to drink em though.

Although talk to Esfa who will tell you how lethal they are to fish - dont ever do the test over your tank!

Well, the nitrate bottle 1 is HCL Acid, dont drink this!
But also the ammonia 1 is very corrosive, its still no problem to us if we dont drink it, but DONT splash it on your tank or anything. I dripped a few drops on my desk (glass surface) i didnt notice but when it had dried the glass had splintered off. I presume if you did that to your tank, the pressure may crack it :S

I got the nitrAte test liquid on my hands a few times and didnt wash them, it burnt the skin on my hand.

Unless you're incredibly stupid (or do your water tests whilst on a trampoline) there is no risk of spillage with the API test kits.

Go to the manufacturer's website, and find a copy of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the chemicals in the test. If it isn't on the company's website, call them an request one. If they won't give you one, I'd never do any business with them every again -- or any other company that is part of their parent company, works with, etc.

You have a right to be informed of the dangers of using chemicals. Any chemicals. Any cleaner, any household product, etc. They all have MSDSs out there for them, and while it certainly isn't the most interesting read, if you are even the tiniest bit concerned about what's in the product, and what those ingredients can cause, the company will provide you an MSDS in some way. Like I said above, I wouldn't do any business at all with a company that doesn't provide and MSDS. Even to the point where I avoid companies who don't put their MSDSs on their websites to make it as easy as possible to inform people of the dangers of using their products.

Maybe this is just the fact that I've worked in too many laboratories and around a lot of chemicals, but there is a reason the law requires you to have a current inventory and MSDS sheet for every single chemical in a lab. Even the "harmless" chemicals like hand soap. The MSDSs have to be well-labeled and put on a spot where the moment anybody walks into the room can find them immediately. This is most important for emergency workers like firemen who will have no idea how dangerous the things in the lab are. These same habits of good laboratory practice have rubbed off into my "everyday" life, where I will find the MSDSs of products before I use them. It is important to know how dangerous they are -- there are different levels. Some fumes shouldn't be breathed in, some chemicals simply shouldn't be ingested, and some shouldn't touch exposed skin at all. Why guess which is which? Take a few seconds and look up the MSDS and be completely informed of all the information about the chemical that is available.

Most reactions

Back