The Berlin Method Of Filtration...

yeah I have run a tank (15g) with no skimmer for over a year with no problems. When I set up the new tank though I did get a small skimmer and have to say after using it and seeing what it pulls out of the water I would highly recommend one. Best bet is to go for a second hand one as you can pick them up really cheap.

1st4aquatics.co.uk is the main one I use. EQJ-Trading also does some good exturnal recirculating skimmers, but are possibly a little overkill for a tank of your size, starting from £150. Thats fairly cheap for a decent new skimmer, hence why most either buy second hand or a minority of us (like me) DIY our own ;)

Just been looking at some sites and found this skimmer

Do you think its suitable? I will have to cut the lid to fit it in.

regards,
Tom.

It should be perfectly suitable. The only catch is that it is internal and thus could be a bit of an eyesore in the tank :sad: If you can cope with that, you have found your skimmer I think :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

The Seaclones work OK, but they spew bubbles back into the display tank if you push any kind of reasonable flow through them :sad: If it ships with a Maxijet MP900 feed-pump (or equivilant), you probibly won't have the issue, but the MP1200 thats fitted to works modifyed SeaClone if too much :nod:

I cannot see where you mentioned tank size now :no: I would say it copes OK with 50g at work when it actually has fish in, but it is always lightly stocked if at all, being a QT system...

All the best
Rabbut

Ah yes, a Rio 125...

It should do an reasonable job of it, provided you stock sencibly :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Though the Rio powerheads are generally considered to be the worst possible powerheads due to their habit of failing in such a way as to nuke tanks and give the owner electric shocks...

Does the Berlin method mean that there is also no sump used? My 400ltr has 90Kg of live rock with no filter or sump so i guess i use this method too! i never knew there was a term used for this - i guess you learn something every day on here :good:

Though the Rio powerheads are generally considered to be the worst possible powerheads due to their habit of failing in such a way as to nuke tanks and give the owner electric shocks...

I haden't spotted that they were fitted with Rio pumps, and thought they came with MaxiJets. This said, I diden't know about the faults with the Rio pumps... A brand swap on the pump will soon fix that though... ;)

To clarify, the berlin method does not mean you use a sump, nor does it mean you don't use a sump... It's more about the rock, waterflow, and skimmer

So thats good I have found my skimmer which is quite cheap and has a good vote.

Commenting on rabbuts comment- I am planning on keeping a mainly invert tank with a pair of clowns, damsel, goby and or blennie and a royal gramma basslet.

Going back to live rock has anyone brought theres from here

Tom.

Most reactions

Back