That Can't Be Safe...

catxx

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
so i'm sitting in my office, which looks straight out onto a busy road and traffic lights (i sit about 4 metres from the curb seperated only by a glass door) and see a sporty mercedes pull up with a lady driver, not unusual in Hampstead, except her Siamese cat could be clearly seen climbing from her shoulder to her lap.

Now I know Siamese cats can be leash trained, but still, having one loose in your car? uh hi! it was only a little 2 seater mercedes.

A guy round here drives about with what appears to be a wolf sitting in the passanger seat of his merc :lol:, I worry that she'll jump out or hang her head over the screen and get something in her eye but he insists she's safe. Can't say I would have a cat loose in my car, sounds like a bad idea.

so i'm sitting in my office, which looks straight out onto a busy road and traffic lights (i sit about 4 metres from the curb seperated only by a glass door) and see a sporty mercedes pull up with a lady driver, not unusual in Hampstead, except her Siamese cat could be clearly seen climbing from her shoulder to her lap.

Now I know Siamese cats can be leash trained, but still, having one loose in your car? uh hi! it was only a little 2 seater mercedes.

And the cat finds a nice comfortable place under the brake pedal to take a "cat nap". :shout:

when we were kids, my mom always insisted that any cats/kittens be in boxes if they were in the car. some friends of hers in college were driving with their new kitten loose in the car and somebody cut them off. the girl stomped on the break not knowing that the kitten was under the pedal--not that she really had a choice either.

unless you've got the world's most placid, fat, fall-asleep-in-the-passenger's-lap cat... use a carrier. for its sake.

::nods:: Doesn't sound safe for driver or cat. When I was a child, my parents brought home one of those "free to a good home" kittens that they found in a box outside of ShopRite. They had no carrier so they just plopped it down in the car. In the 15 minute drive home, it made its way deep into the dashboard, which we had to dismantle entirely in order to get the kitten out. The kitten was, not surprisingly, poorly socialized by its irresponsible previous owners, and mauled my dad's hand pretty good during the removal process as well.
I've also heard horror stories about cats and other small animals (ferrets, birds) who were not in carriers getting under pedals, falling out windows, or just really soaring during car accidents...

The cat could end up doing the same as Johnney Vaugn's Bulldog. Sit's on the accelerator and crashes the car! :D

I always used to drive with Circe out and about in the car... only because she got really still when scared, and car rides petrified her :lol:. She'd sit in my lap and not make a peep all the way to the vet's office and back.

A woman around here drives with her massive sulphur crested cockatoo on her shoulder... she also shops with it. You aren't meant to have animals in Woolworths but I guess the staff are too shocked to tell her off. :lol:

once saw a man driving his sporty little number with an iguana on the dash board - brains of britain (I think not). But it was quite a sight.

I have heard that legislation will be coming in to place in the UK requiring dogs to have harnesses in cars unless they are safely contained in a boot cage. Wondering if this will cover other animals aswell. As a pup my first dog and my second were trained to sit with doggy harnessess attached to seat belts. They still get some freedom, however if an accident occers (especially on the motorway) and a car door or boot ends up opening, the dogs cannot cause further accidents and injury by escaping onto the carriageway. I have found through travelling alot to dog shows complete with dog in car, that rescue companies will only at their discretion carry dogs in the cab of the pick up vehicle if crated. I was not prepared to leave my dog in the car on the back of the pick up truck. He is part of my family and a valuable show / stud dog to boot!!

Not safe I agree - BUT:

I can understand it if she was taking a necessary but short car journey - perhaps to the vets.
My cat (and Oriental) cannot under any circumstances go into a basket - unless totally sedated. He sheds like a porcupine (hair flying in clumps everywhere) - he screams his head off and a vocal height and intensity that would drive anyone mental in a nano second.
So if he has to go into a car to the vets and I have no one to go with and hold him on their lap (without a basket) I have no option but to have him loose in the car. This is rare though.

I've had Siamese before that were just like him, so as I say: I can understand it if the scenario is similar to mine.

Bloo, as the harnesses are of the under the chest variety and not a collar type (I know you have to be careful with cats larynx) you may be able to get her used to a very small dog one, perhaps chihaua (not spelt right sorry) size.

To accustom usually wearing in the house works.

May be worth a try if legislation includes cats too. I must find out more, I know RAC are making the harnessess, due to legislation coming into effect.

My Siamese girl is the same way. She's exceptionally calm when she's out of a box, but if you try to drive her around inside of one, she'll do just about anything and everything to get out. Her brother is just as high-strung and vocal. Her other brother is a messer--he'll urinate or defecate if you put him in a car, so he has to be kept in a keeper (which is okay, because he doesn't mind it so much). So it really depends on the cat, I think. Some cats are really good with car rides. We once took a cat from our town to another town five hours away, and she was quiet and peaceful when she wasn't in the keeper.

Most reactions

Back