Tetraodon Mbu - Help Needed - 29/03/08 - Added Pictures

Hi & thanks for all the replys!! I was away on business so I didnt have much chance to reply to you guys...

Ill get some pictures up tonight... He is about 2 inches now.... and eats roughly 7 shrimp a day at them moment.

I have also learned that he doesnt like Corys.... as mine are all in a terrible state and ive actually put them in another tank. He is a bit of a bully!

The more I look into this the angrier I am getting about the World of Water in Watford where I got him from..... at no point did they say to me that he gets 2 & half foot long!. Im just hoping that they have the species wrong.

EDIT - Added the pictures.....

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Fish-048.jpg

Fish-049.jpg

I think you may be in luck. To me it looks an awful lot like a fahaka puffer, not a mbu. I may be wrong though. If it is a fahaka, it will need a minimum of a 6x2 tank and is more aggressive than a mbu. A biologist once said "I have no idea how these fish ever get close enough to each other to breed" (in reference to the aggression).

Ryan

doesn't look like a mbu but then I don't know a great deal about Mbus or puffers in general. what I do know is that the Fahaka is my favourite and I'd love a full size one in a tank of its own. Look at Sir Minions pics if they are still up for a gorgeous example of these fish

Its either T Lineatus or T Pustulatus.....looks a tad skinny aswell. when it bulks up a little you will be able to ID positively but its more likely to be T Lineatus.

Its either T Lineatus or T Pustulatus.....looks a tad skinny aswell. when it bulks up a little you will be able to ID positively but its more likely to be T Lineatus.

I thought Lineatus myself as they are one of the only puffers I have kept, but they had a large distinctive red spot n the side as oposed to little red spots

Yeha definitely a fahaka. it will get big enough to eat all the tank mates it's with in one mouthful. Not that it will wait that long, I wouldnt be surprised if he has started shredding fins already.

Yeha definitely a fahaka. it will get big enough to eat all the tank mates it's with in one mouthful. Not that it will wait that long, I wouldnt be surprised if he has started shredding fins already.

Yeah he has.... I have removed the slower ones from the tank.

Ive sent a rather ####ty email to World Of Waters head office! :angry:

So he will still be too big for my exisitng Tank anyway so its not really good news.... just different news.... :sad:

just seen a fahaka in Blue Planet aquarium about 18 inches long if not more!!! Lovely looking fish though

oh wow, he is just the cutest little monster baby ever!

(isn't it ridiculous how often these murder machines get sold for community tanks?)

so im feeding him river shrimp every day and blood worm once a week.... does he need anything else?

so im feeding him river shrimp every day and blood worm once a week.... does he need anything else?

I feed mine prawns, bloodworm and cockles in shells. I have no problems.

Most reactions

Back