Tetra Breeding

Siftyzod

Reaction score
Hi there
i am after some advice on tetra breeding
we have been attempting to breed all types of tetra for months actually we havent had any of our fish breed successfully we are trying to get convicts, black neon tetras, columbian tetras, tbars and krabinsis and none are successfully breeding.
i am not sure if we are missing something but the tetras we have been trying the longest.

i have used peat water breeding mesh water temp is 28 degrees cels doing part water changes daily and feeding mosquito larvae and the other fish exactly the same just not in peat water.

Can someone please give us some advice on how to encourage any of these to breed. to date we have had tropical fish for the last year and have brought breeding pairs off people and had fish breeders sex and seperate our fish by sex but have not had any successful breeding.
so we must be missing something as we sold off what we were told were breeding black angels and they breed for the new owner 2 days after they purchased them.
noone we know seems to be giving us the right information so if anyone here can give us a step by step on how they have setup successful breeding setup
the tetra tanks ph is around 6.0-6.5 i have no idea how to test if the water is hard or soft...
this is all the info i can give you as we are novice breeders and would like to let the females release their eggs are they are all fat but just wont lay any eggs
thanks

There's a stickied thread at the top of this forum that describes in detail how to breed (most) egg scatterers. Are you separating the sexes to condition them?

There's a stickied thread at the top of this forum that describes in detail how to breed (most) egg scatterers. Are you separating the sexes to condition them?
Hi there
thank you for the reply.
yes we are seperating by sex and still nothing

I'd advise you stop doing daily water changes for a week or so, and then do a largish one with cold water; that might induce them to start spawning. Letting early morning sun hit the tank can help too.

I'd advise you stop doing daily water changes for a week or so, and then do a largish one with cold water; that might induce them to start spawning. Letting early morning sun hit the tank can help too.
Hi there
thanks for the tip will try this ...do u suggest leaving the 2 fish together? we are really wanting the columbian tetras to lay eggs as the girls look uncomfortably fat... does anyone have any experience with spawning columbian tetras and how did u achieve them to spawn? any info would be great

Thanks
Glenn

I haven't bred Columbians, but pretty much all tetras are similar.

Condition the adults separately. Add the males to the tank last thing at night and let them get natural sunlight in the morning. If they haven't spawned then, do a 50% cold water change.

I haven't bred Columbians, but pretty much all tetras are similar.

Condition the adults separately. Add the males to the tank last thing at night and let them get natural sunlight in the morning. If they haven't spawned then, do a 50% cold water change.
ok we have tried every single suggestion private messaged and on this post and have no results at all...3 days ago i sold 2 of our emporer tetras adn they spawned for the new owner...frustrating yes...
now one bonus is my toddler tipped something into a couple of tanks and killed off our fish so im kinda glad of that cause now they wont annoy me not breeding
so if anyone else has any information that could get our fish breeding then please advise me on this...
im almost over fish we decided to breed fish for fun but it aint no fun when everyday u goto the tank and its the same as u left it...
have no even added indian almond leaves to the tanks and nufin but fail...
there must be something people are not letting on to get fish to breed...we cant even get convicts to breed so i have told my partner no eggs in 7 days we sell everything and get a kitten!
so anymore suggestions?

Most fish spawn during the rainy season. So a large water change with ro water that brings the temp down 5-8 degrees F will often trigger spawning. As for the convicts your water is to warm. They are happiest at about 75 deg F. There are lots of changes you may need to make to be successful. If you're selling these fish and they breed right away for the new owners, the fish aren't the ones to blame.

Most fish spawn during the rainy season. So a large water change with ro water that brings the temp down 5-8 degrees F will often trigger spawning. As for the convicts your water is to warm. They are happiest at about 75 deg F. There are lots of changes you may need to make to be successful. If you're selling these fish and they breed right away for the new owners, the fish aren't the ones to blame.
So can u or anyone else give me a step by step of things to do to get tetras going?
and wat is RO water? is that rainwater type thing?
and yer we are most likely to blame but im starting to wonder if this is even worth the hassle of trying its wasting time and money

Most reactions

Back