Test Strip Vs Test Tube

gems

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
yes its me again! Just wondering what your opinions of the water test strips are. We have these and I have read that they are not very accurate, and the results do seem to change over a period of time when using them - i take the results that appear after the first 60 seconds as it says in the instructions. Are the test tube kits more accurate?

Yes - the liquid test kits are without a doubt by far better than the strips - and in my opinion it's money down the drain to buy the strips.

API range (especially the master test kit) provides excellent value for money and great consistent results.

I originally bought strips ( a 5 in 1 test) and then realized that it did not test for Ammonia DAH!!! So I went back and got a liquid Ammonia tester and it is great. Once I use up all of my strips (which will be soon with testing 2 tanks) I will get a liquid Nitrate/Nitrite/PH tester.

i use the test strips when i am really busy and have no time to collect water and put the tester drops.

i used the test strips and boy are they they expensive for what they are!!!!

when all used up i bought the api range as mentioned earlier - it's GREAT!!!!!!

just a note the colour change means the water is changing so in sum respects a colour change is good (not when cycled tho last thing u need is NH3 and NO2)

same when using test strips concerning ppl - becareful not to touch the pads as grease from fingertips can sometimes alter the reading - this is not based on research but from experience!!!!!!!!

and of course the "regular" strips dont even test for ammonia!!!!!!!!

i used the test strips and boy are they they expensive for what they are!!!!

when all used up i bought the api range as mentioned earlier - it's GREAT!!!!!!

just a note the colour change means the water is changing so in sum respects a colour change is good (not when cycled tho last thing u need is NH3 and NO2)

same when using test strips concerning ppl - becareful not to touch the pads as grease from fingertips can sometimes alter the reading - this is not based on research but from experience!!!!!!!!

and of course the "regular" strips dont even test for ammonia!!!!!!!!

When reading the direction for the Ammonia tube kit it says to shake the tube with the cap on instead of using your finger to cover the tube since that can mess it up. Guess it is very sensitive. Good thing we don't have to wear latex gloves and masks :lol: :lol:

yea not only that but the solution is corrosive to skin - and working in burns it's amazing what does burn people's skin and they think they'll be ok!!!

but i think any "filter start" apart from it guaranteeing live bacteria maybe as "bio-spira" does - then it seems just a means of buying another item that we may not need?

I've always used liquid tests simply based on cost.

Oddly enough, I purchased some test strips for our swimming pool and used one today. I got the readings and set the strip down. 2-3 minutes later I looked at it again and the reading were signifigantly different. Which reading is correct? I tried one on my aquarium and had the same experience. I think I'll be going back to purchase liquid tests for the pool. Strips may be OK for a quick check but I don't think I trust them much.

Strips can be inconsistant. I have done two strips simultaneously with different results. The liquid tests are more consistent, but recently I was getting an ammonia reading of 1ppm out of my tap. I had the guys from the water company come over and test it, and it was .28ppm with their super duper expensive digital tester. So it may be consistent but not accurate. It was APIs kit, which I think is the standard one here in the US. I was dissappointed to see it wasn't accurate, but thankful the ammonia wasn't as high as I thought. Then again, all the advice on how much ammonia fish can handle could be skewed because of the test kits inaccuracy!

Most reactions

Back