Test Kits

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Out of the API Liquid Test Kit, which ones are the most important. I was thinking these.

Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite

I was given a nitrate liquid bottle with tube, and was thinking of buying the other 2 separate. Do you think that will do?

Depends. If you're going to fishless cycle you'll want to know the pH as well to avoid it dropping too low and stalling. Even if you're not, it's never a bad idea to check the pH from time to time. Of course, by the time you buy the ammonia, nitrite and pH kits separately (because you already have the nitrate one) you might as well buy the full kit.

Generally buying the complete kit i.e. NH3,NO2,NO3 and Ph combined is far cheaper than buying each test individually.
But if you are going to buy separate test kits, then ammonia then nitrite then nitrate would be the way to go.

However, as Prime Ordeal has said, you have 1882 posts. So like him, I am also wondering why you are asking this question.
Or are you thinking of changing test kits?

David

Thinking of changing test kits. i have been using strips but i think they are giving false information. and ya sometimes things are asked bc this account is shared :)

The test strips aren't known for their accuracy. Or their value for money, for that matter.

Forget the criticism, anyone at all can ask any question and should be able to expect a civil response.

The ammonia and nitrite tests are handy if you are cycling or you see something wrong with the fish and want to investigate it. The pH and high pH tests can be handy for characterizing your water type but after that they don't serve much purpose for most of us. If you have very soft water where the pH drifts on you, that is different. Then you will want to detect the drift before it causes problems for your fish. Stable conditions are almost always better.

I like keeping them all on hand because I use them all. Not everyone will.

Price around and do some math to see if it's more economical for you to buy the kit in your position. (It's also easier to store.)

I too would buy the whole set of a liquid test kit. You can shop around for a good price on ebay and although they sound expensive they will last for well over a year if not longer depending how often you use them. Also they are an investment as it will save you money in the long run by not losing fish :good:

Most reactions

Back