Test Kits

dusty2

Reaction score
Hi All, Can anybody advise me on the best test kit to buy. At the moment Iam using the Tetra stip test but considering Iam about to get another tank (Juwel Rio 180) I think its time for something more accurate.
John

If your in he uk hen go for saliferts, the same price as the API but they're much more accurate. API's test kits are
awful in my opinion, temperature and humidity can affect the results massivly!

A lot of people on here use and recommend the API master test kit, they are about $30 at the large chain stores, cheaper on line. The other one I see recommend a fair amount is the Nutfin kits (I believe they are by hagen). Basically you what at a min is ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH (high and low, or wide range). If you are keeping or planning to keep live plants you will need additional tests (not sure what they are I don't keep live plants) Other tests you might want for your reference or possible future problems is GH and KH. The other brand that I have heard good things about is Salifert, however, they can not be purchased in a kit, every test is purchased individually, and if you live in the US, they can be hard to find (unless you buy on line) and are quite a bit more expensive then API and Nutrafin. However, if you live in the UK, they are apparently more readily available and about the same price as the other brands. I personally use the API and have never had a problem with them.

Agree with the API liquid test kit with Kelly. It lasts ages too.

If you are from the UK then both the API master kit and salifert tests can be bought from This Website

The salifert tests are more accurate than the API but have to be bought seperately as they dont supply a full kit like API do, although even buying the saliferts seperately does not really work out much more expensive than the API one.

Andy

Most reactions

Back