Temperature Too High

billlcarroll5781

Reaction score
I am having difficulty reaching (and sustaining) an appropriate temperature. I woke up today and my house was 66 degrees. The tank is near 82 but the heater was set on 77 degrees and somehow turned on. It's an ebojager 100 watt. What I'm wondering is why the heater would be on when it was set for 77 and the tank was 82. It's a 24 G JBJ nanocube. I turned the heater down to 75 and it turned the heater off but I'm nervous of temperature drop now. Any ideas?

p.s. I apologize for redundancy for the member i emailed this question to.

Thank you for any help; this forum has been a great resource.

Bill

The only thing you can do is keep a close eye on the temperature. You may find that the dial on your heater is badly calibrated and I have seen them read as much as 6F wrong before, so this could well be happening with yours. Leave it turned down and see if the temperature is sustained slightly lower than before and if it does I would actually then turn it down a little bit more to perhaps read 73 on your heater, which should equate to 77/78F

Ben

I am having difficulty reaching (and sustaining) an appropriate temperature. I woke up today and my house was 66 degrees. The tank is near 82 but the heater was set on 77 degrees and somehow turned on. It's an ebojager 100 watt. What I'm wondering is why the heater would be on when it was set for 77 and the tank was 82. It's a 24 G JBJ nanocube. I turned the heater down to 75 and it turned the heater off but I'm nervous of temperature drop now. Any ideas?

p.s. I apologize for redundancy for the member i emailed this question to.

Thank you for any help; this forum has been a great resource.

Bill

Thanks, I recently read a similar review and recommendation regardig my heater specifically. Apparently it hold it's temperature very precisely but is often calibrated up to 5 degrees off. What is a safe range to reduce the temperature at, 1 degree per day?

i dont see a problem with turning it straight down, the temperature drop will be slow anyway as it takes a longer time for water to release its heat rather than gain it.

Ben

i dont see a problem with turning it straight down, the temperature drop will be slow anyway as it takes a longer time for water to release its heat rather than gain it.

Ben

Agreed, water takes a long time to change temp, go for most of the difference right now, and fine tune it over the next couple days

82 is not a high temperature if you keep your temp stable. Large fluctuations are much worse in that you can stress out your livestock. My tank runs at 81.5-82.7 and I have had no problems. Remember, ofttimes reef temperatures average 83 degrees. Avoid the 83 during the day to 76 at night temp swings.

But a cheap glass thermometer or a LCD thermometer. Turn down your heater at a time when you can watch it. As the temp falls, you can turn up the thermostat to match your desired temp. You may not have to even do that as Nano Cubes tend to run warm. SH

I've been having that problem as well, and thought maybe something might be gunking up my pump, causing it to warm up. Try giving your pump a thorough cleaning.

I live in FL, and have had the windows open for the last few weeks (beautiful weather), and my tank has been between 80 and 82 degrees all day and night. In a few more weeks we'll have to turn the air conditioner on, which will cool the tank down as well.

Mellanby

This may seem stupid, but how do you know its the heater. It could also be the thermometer that is off. It could be a combination of both. I would calibrate the thermometer to check it, or maybe use more than one to check the temp just to be sure the heater is the true problem.

Temps run on the high side in Nano Cubes. The pump they supply is usually a piece of junk and many will upgrade to a MJ1200. I have had three pumps going at once at one time without significant heat elevation. SH

Temperature: between 75° and 83° F and constant - Should not move more than two degrees in one day.
What was the temp before adding the heater to tank?

Thanks to good advice about the calibration of the thermometer the issue is solved. The past few days the tank has held perfectly constant at 80 degrees, i simply had to set the heater to 75. Thank you to everyone who helped me solve this issue.

Before adding the heater it was closer to 76. I'm still using an old school stainless steel, hang on the front of the tank therm. until i am 100% confident the temp is steady, than i plan to move to a more aesthetically appealing digital. Any recommendations for a rock solid digital thermometer?

Just buy a nice glass one on the side i have one cost me £1.25 from lfs and works perfectly, floats (if it comes unattached) and it small & clear to read.

Bret

Coralife's digital temp probe works fine for me and it is under 10 bucks. SH

+1 on the coralife digital (although be prepared to calibrate these as well, they can be off by as much as 1 degree F)

Also be warry of the glass therms. They are good but can be broken by aggresive fish or high flow pushing them into the rock work.

Most reactions

Back