Teacup Stingray! A Burden...?

ProHaloSniper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,

My local pet shop has a freshwater teacup stingray for sale at a mere $79.95. :blink: It is an extremely cool animal to add to my new 55 gallon tank.

I have a few questions:

1. How big can this thing get? The owner said no bigger than a 4" Diameter.
2. What does it eat?
3. Can it live with other fish?

Yes, my tank is completely cycled. I tested my own water and got the shop to test as well.

Am I wasting $80 on this thing or is it just so awesome that i have to have it?

--Jim C.

They actually go to 12-14 inch in diameter i think. They need at least 125 gallons.

your gonna need a tank atleast 2ft wide im afraid so unless you plan to upgrade to atleast a 180g tank its a no go im afriad.

i want one and even have the tank but its already stocked unfortunately.

really are stunning animals to have tho.

Holy god in heaven! That thing may be a little too large when it grows up, lol.

I'm going to talk to the LFS Owner again and see what he has to say. That thing is definitely a beast tho, so I may do a tank upgrade!

Thanks for the info guys!

--Jim C.

tbh, its one of the smaller freshwater rays. it reachs around 10-13" i think a tank thats 5x18"x18" would be ok. 5x2x2 would be perfect. Rays, are beautiful animals and if you couldget one it would be great.

try and get a larger tank and at $79 its not to bad!

Good luck!
cona

most teacups are reticulata (sp?) or humerosa I believe and although they have relatively small discs their tails can be up to 12 inches - so not suitable for 2 foot of depth - I have a 6 by 2 and tbh after lots of asking I would only feel comfortable with a p. scobina in there.

I wouldn't bother, unless you get a 6 by 30 inches or even better 6 by 3 foot

Yes, my tank is completely cycled. I tested my own water and got the shop to test as well.

=================================

Is this the same 55 gallon tank that you are asking about in tropical fish section, that has ammonia of 4.0?

Most reactions

Back