Tank Weight

jonny_dw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im wanting to get a juwel rio 180..however Im hoping to have this tank upstairs in my room.Will my floor be able to take the weight of 180 litres of water?dont want the floor falling in downstairs lol

thanks

i think that is for you to decide. only you know how strong youre floor is and what materials have been used. yes it will be very heavy though!

My Rio 180 has been in our converted loft for around five years with no problems. However, i imagine it will depend on the structure of your house, its age etc..

Its difficult to say really, everyone's house is different, constructed differently - maybe best to have a structural engineer have a look first if in any doubt :)

That's about a 480lb, 217kg aquarium. That's not a huge one, a good bookcase can easily weigh more. I can't say for certain that your floor could hold it but if it can't it's probably not terribly safe to live in either.

That's about a 480lb, 217kg aquarium. That's not a huge one, a good bookcase can easily weigh more. I can't say for certain that your floor could hold it but if it can't it's probably not terribly safe to live in either.

And 217kg is about three large adults, and Im sure there would be no problem with you having two mates in the room!

think of it this way do you have a bath upstairs, think of the weight of that when full and someone in it, im sure it ways alot more than your tank

Make sure the tank runs perpendicular to the floor joists though, that distributes the load. Don't run it parallel to one if you can.

think of it this way do you have a bath upstairs, think of the weight of that when full and someone in it, im sure it ways alot more than your tank

But a bath isnt full of water with someone in it 24 hours a day...

and they knew where the bath was going to go, so I bet they have reinforced the floor for the floor to hold the bath

But a bath isnt full of water with someone in it 24 hours a day...

and they knew where the bath was going to go, so I bet they have reinforced the floor for the floor to hold the bath

Yeah..plus the bath goes across the width of the bathroom where as my tank wud go the length of my room so if their are wooden bearers under the floorboards then they are proberly going width ways across rather than lengths.

I guess ill have to get someone in to have a look or just go for a smaller tank hmmm thanks guys

all you need to do is pull up 1 floorboard and see which way the joists go.

put it against a load bearing wall and over a couple of joists and you should be fine :)

Most reactions

Back