Tank Temperatures...

It's very hot here. My poor fish like a cooler tank, (Rosy Barbs) they must hate this time of year. ***goes to fill bucket***

It's winter here. The sub-zero climate has me running two tank heaters and my house heating to keep the tank at a stable 24 degrees.

Taking the hood off my tank has allowed me to maintain a stable 26c. Im happy with that
fish.gif

TallTree01 said:
It's winter here. The sub-zero climate has me running two tank heaters and my house heating to keep the tank at a stable 24 degrees.
You have sub zero winters in Australia? I really never knew that.

Aren't there like 6 different climates in Australia depending which part you are in?

stanleo said:

You have sub zero winters in Australia? I really never knew that.

Yes. It got -6 last night. :eek:

coolie said:
Aren't there like 6 different climates in Australia depending which part you are in?

106 mate. its 32 degrees in darwin and -2 where i am. :eek:

I'm one step away from using my fridge to stop it from freezing. ;)

I already posted on the other thread about tank temps, I can't get my tank back down to 24, I have lost 2 melini cories already 
evilmad.gif
 The tanks sitting at 27 just now, I am doing cold water changes, the fans on, the lids off-it's just not dropping. The fry tank however is sitting at about 30, the fry are growing so fast lol. 

Ny82 said:
I already posted on the other thread about tank temps, I can't get my tank back down to 24, I have lost 2 melini cories already 
evilmad.gif
 The tanks sitting at 27 just now, I am doing cold water changes, the fans on, the lids off-it's just not dropping. The fry tank however is sitting at about 30, the fry are growing so fast lol. 

what about using those blue "ice" blocks normally used to keep picnics cold - seal them in a bag first though just to be doubly safe they don't leak anything into the water.

Tim_UK said:

evilmad.gif

what about using those blue "ice" blocks normally used to keep picnics cold - seal them in a bag first though just to be doubly safe they don't leak anything into the water.

Are they the ice cube bags, that you fill with water and freeze? I have thought about them, putting them in a sealed sandwich bag and floating them. 

Ny82 said:

evilmad.gif

Are they the ice cube bags, that you fill with water and freeze? I have thought about them, putting them in a sealed sandwich bag and floating them. 

I meant these ones - they are filled with something not water to keep them cold for longer - hence my comment about sealing them twice:

Rubbermaid-1080-TL-220-rw-67529-79775.jpg

Ah right, I will look at that! Haven't seen them before! Thanks.

I've just lost one of my new bolivian rams to the heat =( my step-mom always closes my door cuz apparently my room "smells." So my room is always like 10*F higher than the rest of the house. 
evilmad.gif
 Sometimes I'd like to stick her in a tank and boil her..  This week they are calling for some extreme heat which means we will have the A/C on and my room is still going to be hot because she closes the door. I've seen this DIY aquarium chiller which consists of a styrofoam cooler and 8-10 of those freeze packs like Tim mentioned above. You cut holes in the side near the lid for your external hoses and place the external in the cooler surrounded by 4-5 of the packs and rotate them during the day. And if you don't need as much cooling you just don't put in as many packs. Also if you don't have an external you can do the same with some hose and a powerhead. Just put a good amount of hose in the styrofoam container and it should act just like an aquarium chiller. Just $100-300 cheaper 
good.gif

Most reactions

Back