Tank Stocking Help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a 182 litre tank (four foot) and I need some stocking advice.
My tank is fully cycled.
I do a 25% water change once a week.

I have:
7 neon tetras
3 platy
3 platy fry
1 pearl gourami
6 guppy fry
3 bronze corys
1 bristlenose catfish

Is my tank stocked fully, or can I add more fish to it? If I have room, I was thinking of adding;
about 10 more neon tetras, maybe more
2-3 female pearl gourami (the one I have is male)

What do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions. I know some of these fish will have fry quickly, but I have been giving them away.

Thanks for your input! :)

Get two more pearl gouramis. Corydoras need a shoal of 6 or more, I would recommend you to get possibly 6 more which would make a shoal of 9.

What is the GH and pH of your source water?

I agree, it would be best to know the GH and PH, you should be able to find this on your local water providers website

Yeah but they take forever to grow when small usually almost 2 years before an upgrade but they do get ride of pesky small fish in the mean time though delhize? Cant remember how to spell it dont get too large to where they will be comfortable in a 75g

It is never a good idea to acquire any potentially large fish if you do not now (at the time of acquiring the fish) have a tank of suitable size to provide for its requirements life-long. Any number of circumstances may intervene. And a bichir certainly would not work here.

The main consideration before we help decide on fish is what type of water do you have Hard or soft. Please supply the water readings. They should be posted on your local water provider website or call them to find out.

Would I still have space for tetras if I get these fish, or would that fill my tank up? :)

You are not anywhere near over-stocked. If you do acquire more fish, the first thing is to acquire more cories, they need a larger group and you have space in a 4-foot tank, I would aim for 12-15 in total. And there is room beyond that, but let's pin down the GH first. If you do have soft water, you have real problems already with the platies and guppies. These are livebearers, and all livebearers must have moderately hard or harder water. The other fish (cories, tetras, etc) are soft water species. This is why we must know the GH, we could be suggesting fish that will slowly weaken and die without knowing the parameters.

Most reactions

Back