Tank Stocking Help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So the ideal would be somewhere in the middle? I will call my local water providers some time today to find out.
There is no ideal. You can pretty much only have soft water or hard water fish, not both

Ok, so I called my local water providers, and the GH is 0.82 mml, so it’s neither hard or soft, it's in the middle

Last edited:
Assuming the unit is millimols per litre,

0.82 mm/l = 4.6 dH and 82 ppm. That's soft water.

The platies and guppies won't be happy but the other fish will be fine.

Conversion from here

Agree. Selecting fish that will thrive and not just survive for a period in your water will make life much easier for you and your fish. The livebearers will slowly weaken and die, so I would re-home them.

And before you ask what most others in this situation ask at this point...raising the GH/KH/pH of the soft water is obviously possible, but it would have to go up substantially to provide what the livebearers must have, and then the soft water species would start having problems. Not to mention that having to prepare water outside the tank at every water change before you can add it to the tank can be a lot of work.

I agree with @Byron, I have hard water but like tetras which are soft water fish. I have to do the opposite and soften my water. I have to buy several 5 gallon jugs of RO water and mix it with dechlorinated tap water at every water change. It is a lot of extra work.

Ok :sad:. Does that mean I can’t rehome them to any one in my area, because they have soft water too?

If you want to keep them, you could set up an additional tank and use crushed coral as a substrate which will raise hardness and pH.

It's just best to keep them and the tetras separate because they need different water conditions. :)

Ok, thanks. Do you think 15 gallons would be ok, or is that pushing it a bit?

Platies and guppies were mentioned...a 20g is minimum, although if you had several you would need more space.

If you do go to a new aquarium dedicated to livebearers, the best substrate would be aragonite sand. Crushed coral was mentioned but this is only calcium, and magnesium is also required; aragonite has both. You can buy it for marine tanks, just make sure it does not also have common salt (sodium chloride). The sands for rift lake cichlid tanks are also good, these two are calcium and magnesium.

Last edited:
Platies and guppies were mentioned...a 20g is minimum, although if you had several you would need more space.

If you do go to a new aquarium dedicated to livebearers, the best substrate would be aragonite sand. Crushed coral was mentioned but this is only calcim, and magnesium is also required; aragonite has both. You can buy it for marine tanks, just make sure it does not also have common salt (sodium chloride). The sands for rift lake cichlid tanks are also good, these two are calcium and magnesium.

That was me. I knew there was something else but wasn't sure what it was. Thanks for correcting me.

If you do go to a new aquarium dedicated to livebearers, the best substrate would be aragonite sand. Crushed coral was mentioned but this is only calcium, and magnesium is also required; aragonite has both. You can buy it for marine tanks, just make sure it does not also have common salt (sodium chloride). The sands for rift lake cichlid tanks are also good, these two are calcium and magnesium.

Great, thank you :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back