Tank Is Up And Running

Zukari

Reaction score
Well – I’m taking the plunge to Saltwater. I have the basics started – I have my filter (It’s a penguin 330) a heater…getting a power head tomorrow, and already have crushed coral at around 4 inches on the bottom.

The tank is a 55 Gallon tank, the water is already made and set – So now… what? I have been reading up on these Protein skimmers… I just can’t determine if I need one or not.

Basically what I am going for is Fish and LR – starting slow and building up over time. And I mean slow, I assume the first fish I will get would be damsel, seem easy to care for and I think they look nice. I don’t plan on buying 45lb of LR right off either – again, slow and steady; I have been told by the lfs that this is a good approach.

The water was pre-mixed (Honestly, I don’t have a RO at home, and RO was 49 cents while the salt which was pre-calibrated was 75 cents. We’ll see how it goes, I’ll measure the water tomorrow with my meter.)

More or less – with the power head being purchased tomorrow, and…however long it should take before I put the LR in, or fish (Which I’m not sure on)…What else do I need? Trying to avoid a sump simply due to…complete lack of room for one, if a skimmer is absolutely needed for small fish, I’ll get one. But those 2-3 things I have yet to get a clear answer on even after browsing these forums.

Also plan on buying a *full* testing kit tomorrw. Also this tank has been running water (Clearing the cloud of crushed coral) for about 5 hours and .. amazingly is almost completely clear - looks amazing. I have been dealing with basic fish and africans for a while now, This tank already looks gorgeous with just the Coral (sand) and water with the lighting I have.

Any help !?!?

-Zuk

P.S. I'm tired - Ignore any horrible grammar/spelling. And thanks for any help.

Something I forgot to mention..

The crushed coral I purchased for the tank claimed to have the bacteria in it... either way - after reading on life sand (Or live sand?), and not having that avilable where I am, will what I have work? Bacteria or not it looks very nice.

-Zuk

Hey,

Is your filter internal with sponge media? If so I'd recommend you take the sponge out. The nitrates in my tank had shot up to 50 after a few months of my tank running. I looked into it and was told that the sponge can hold rotten food particles and pump out nitrates. After removing the sponge my nitrates dropped to 10.

As for a protein skimmer I'd say you'd definately need one for a tank that large.

Also be careful about adding the Live Rock in stages. If the rock isn't properly cured you could cause your tank to cycle with each piece you add.

Hope this helps.

just make sure all your live rock is cured if your going to add it slowly, to know if its cured or not, some people here say smell it, if it smells rotten and dead then its not, it has to smell like the ocean. And yes taking it slow is the best, i sort of rushed it and was lucky and had no serious problems. A protein skimmer will help, but its not necessary with fish only. And damsels are a serious fish. they can get very aggressive towards other fish u may want to put in after, this hobby gets very addicting, and after u see all the other fish u can have (especially in a 55gallon)you will think twice about damsels, u can put them in at first to test everything out, than i would suggest taking them out and putting other fish, unless u would like to go with a tank thats damsels only? And dont forget to have a CUC(clean up crew) to get rid of algae build up that your most likli gonna get in the first few weeks after cycling. and have fun =]

flash

I would definitely get another powerhead. You want an hourly flow rate of at least 10x the capacity of the tank, in your case this would be 550 gallons per hour. Live rock requires a high water flow. Some say 20x the tank capacity! Get rid of the internal filter, and replace it with a nice meaty external filter - it will be useful for filing with phosphate remover and activated charcoal. They're a lot less messier than their internal counterparts, particularly if they have shutoff valves fitted. take out the biomedia sponge; this will only generate excess nitrates

Personally, I think a protein skimmer is mandatory for any marine system. :good: Not only do they get rid of a lot of organics before they has a chance to decompose, (thus lightening the filtration load on the LR) but they help to oxygenate the water (thereby helping to stabilise the pH) and add to the water circulation of the tank. For a tank your size, you'll need one fitted with a powerhead.

Once you've finished adding the LR, and you are not going to add anymore, start testing your water daily for ammonia. As the rock is curing, the readings will likely be right off the scale. After maybe a week, start testing for nitrites - there should be some being generated at this stage, and the ammonia levels will start to fall. Your rock will be cured when the ammonia and nitrite readings are zero - but test for at least week. If after a week, there is no detectable ammonia and nitrite, then add your first fish - not a delicate one, maybe a clownfish or two. Also at this point, start testing for nitrates. Don't add a damselfish first - it will take over the entire tank and harrass any other fish you add later. :crazy: It's best to add damsels last.

Some good advice so far. One thing I'll add, do not go with crushed coral for the substrate. Crushed coral will trap detritus and go septic if not properly cleaned. What you really want is an aragonite sand (aka coral sand) for the substrate about 1-2" deep.

I agree, damsels should be added last, not first. I realize they're hardy enough to survive thermonuclear attack, but they're also mean enough to have a job as a hit-man with the mob.

And lastly, a protein skimmer would be reccomended for your tank size, but not required.

Thanks for all of the help. As far as my current filter goes - I don't have a sponge in it, just the two carbon filters. In a while I'll get a protein skimmer, just don't want to shell out the cash for that now. I know the LR I'm getting is cured, but I'll double check that.

Regarding the fish - what fish other than clowns/damsels would be good for a start?

-Zuk

Thanks again.

Many wrasses and gobies are pretty good first fish as well. Relatively hardy and small on the bio load. Stay away from bigger fish or those prone to ich as first fish.

All of the tests I took today prove that things are...well, normal. I think if this continues I should buy some cured LR? Any suggestions on that, I think I'll start in the are of 15Lbs.. ?

-Zuk

Most reactions

Back