Tank Chemistry Problems

mumbles2011

Reaction score
hi there. i am new to tropical fish and seem to be having a bit of trouble with water chemistry, i have two tanks one is a 50 litre and the other is a 25 litre. water chemistry in the 50 litre ok but the smaller one is as follows ammonia 4.0 nitrite + 5.0 nitrate 20 and ph 7.4. them reading were taken 4 days after doing a 50% water change. stock in tank are two peppered corys 4 zebra danios 2 neons.any ideas on problem. tank has been running for just over month and a half. also does anyone know where i can purchase two male steel bule killifish for my 50 litre tank

Hi :hi:
if your water stats are that high they will be doing some serious damage to your fish, i would do a big water change.
Did you cycle your tank? if so was it fishless or fish in?
When you did your water change did you used declorinated water? because if not the chlorine would kill you beneficial bacteria.

Lloyd

yeah cycled tank for about 2 weeks with a mature filter then added just the 4 danios, and then the other fish a couple of weeks after. as for the dechlorinator i have been using interpet tapsafe.

mmmm not too sure then, theres nothing rotting in there is there like plants or dead fish or food?
if you are overfeeding and food is being left that might be causing it.
hopefully someone else might know
just try and keep the ammonia down with water changes.

Lloyd

i feed one small pinch of mini granules every other day, the plants are artifical. ill just keep up the water changes for now, thanks

I suspect your filter is still cycling. It is not guaranteed that mature media will fully "take" in a new situation and ideally we like to "test" them with a type of fishless cycling process.

Since fish are in the tank though it's important to realize that any time you find a non-zero result for ammonia or nitrite, you must consider yourself to be in a fish-in cycling situation and immediately begin to act accordingly. Testing for ammonia, nitrite and pH should proceed twice a day, preferably 12 hours apart. One should always be prepared for the possible need for daily or twice a day water changes, at least for a short period until the problem is under control.

In a fish-in cycle, your job is to be a detective and figure out by trial and error what frequency and percentage water changes will keep the ammonia and nitrite(NO2) levels at or below 0.25ppm until you can be home again to possibly change water again. Very large initial changes (with good technique - conditioner and rough temperature matching(your hand is good enough for this)) are usually called for. Check over in our "Your New Freshwater Tank" section for further help.

~~waterdrop~~

Welcome to the forum,
Some good advice from the members.
How are your water chemistry levels now?

Keith.

I;d also advise you slow down with adding fish and read a bit more about their requirements before adding. The likes of neons would not be advised in a new tank especially in quantities of two.

I;d follow the advise given maybe not add anything till your params are stable and learn how your tank behaves, you will learn to understand whether your fish are happy or not and develop your own maintenance routine etc

thanks for the advise, the fish where added after being told i was able to by a local fish store, i did have 8 neons but lost a few.

Typical fish stores always tell you its ok to add fish. My rainbows are settling in fine mate no probs yet give em another week and they be in the big tank.Hope you get your water probs sorted

thanks mate, them rainbows going to look great in your tank.i have got 2 filters in there now and that seems to be doing the trick at the moment, think it must have been to much bioload for the small filter.

Most reactions

Back