Syno. Eupterus Compatability

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Has anyone kept one with clown loach? I am trying to work out which will be the best tank to put this fish in. At the moment he is in with my little map turtle, not ideal but it was the best available tank at the time it arrived on my doorstep. He/she is healing nicely from its fin damage and now has a nice rounded belly instead of a sunken one :(. I have been researching care and compatibility but keep getting different answers. I have 2 choices of tank, one with 4 juvi clown loach which are my main concern and a bn, this tank would be better as the fish are mainly omnivous which would suit the syno. Or I am setting up later this week an african tank (to take on some other rescue fish) however there is a shelly in this group and I am not sure if the syno would be suitable. I have ruled out other tanks due to having other species of catfish. Final plan is to leave it with the turtle as I am down a filter until the sponges re-mature (had some sick fish in last week and had to disinfect the tank and filter etc) and set up a small tank for it until I can find a suitable home, but as it ended up here because of aggression issues re-homing may not be an option.

No one with any ideas?

Oops misread- thought you were asking about homing another clown. Sorry.

Thanks Charlie the second link is quite helpful :), I had already read the other one lol. I will have to try it in with the juvi clowns and see what happens. thanks

Hi iv got a featherfin in with clown loaches in my 450l. The featherfin can sometimes be a bit of a bully. But doesn't go any further than just chasing the clowns away. So nothing major. Featherfins are very territorial. So if u can provide a decent hiding place for it then u should be ok. Its only when the clowns venture into the featherfins territory that it chases them away.

Thanks Pauloblade, the tank I am thinking of has a fake rock one end that the clowns live in, the other end is a lot of wood, which "should, har har" suit the featherfin, but I know what fish are like when you think you have created something nice, they dont like it lol.

Mines hiding place is in a piece of bogwood. Shud be fine. Theyre great fish. Really greedy as well ha. Will eat every food possible. Its about 7 inch at mo

This one is only about 4-5", and is really greedy, so I can't understand why it had a sunken belly when it arrived, that went first feed!. I am going to leave it in with the turtle for the time being so I can keep an eye out for any problems before I add it to one of the main tanks. Its a shame he/she cant stay with the turtle, they are getting on great.

How big are the Clown Loaches, star? If they are >5cm SL, they should be absolutely fine, I'd expect a Synodontis euptera to snack on small fish (Neon Tetra size) if it happened to come across one but.

If it was not for the Cyprichromis and Paracyprichromis you are getting with the African rescuees, I would have thought that African tank would be absolutely fine. While I've never kept Rift Valley fish (despite wanting to), I do get the impression that these midwater cichlids can be a little fragile.

Euptera are not that bad on the syno aggression scale, somewhere around the middle I'd say, providing they are with nothing snack size. They are pretty adaptable in terms of setups, but I suspect it would enjoy the extra water movement you probably have with the loaches. ;)

Cheers Goat :), I will be trying her in with the clowns :), I am leaving her with the turtle for a little while longer so she has a better body shape as she is eating great at the moment.

I had a featherfin a few years back, mine was also a rescue, it was a nice big fish that lived in an old drain pipe in my tank lol, it generally kept itself to itself, rather shy hid in the pipe alot came out for feedings, but was most active after dark, I ended up selling the tank on with the fish still in it, I do miss it though 
cry1.gif
 occasionally I see really small ones in the lfs and it's hard to believe they grow into those monsters!

Most reactions

Back