Synirr Baby Betta Question

Being part detective I am led off subject and want to know, where does that long tail dominant gene come from in a family that is short finned? So much for purity!

I think your pupil is beddy bye. B)
The long finned trait arose by random mutation, I'm sure.
Did you know that having lobster hands is dominant in humans? You probably do, since I mention it almost every time this subject comes up :lol:

five-fingeredness is a recessive trait, in general. recessive doesn't always mean less common :)

If Plakat is the base fin type of the species from which all the other Splendens were developed, how is it that the part left out of the description is that a HM Splendens is has the full long tail?
In the hobby long-finned fish are generally more popular and common, so it's just not considered something that's worth mentioning... a fish is assumed to be long-finned unless it is specifically stated otherwise. This may also have to do with the fact that the long-finned trait is dominant :dunno:

oppositearmor, here's a breakdown of the info on tail types. As you may know, most animals carry two copies of every gene, one from each parent. If a trait is dominant, then if the gene for it is carried it doesn't matter what the other copy of the gene is, the dominant trait is what you're going to see. If it's recessive, you need two copies of it to be able to see the effects of the gene.

Doubletail is recessive
Single tail is dominant

Long fins is dominant
Short fins (plakat) is recessive

Given this, you know that all my fish carry two copies of the plakat gene and will only produce plakats if bred to another plakat because this is the only gene either parent has to give. Since one of their parents was DT, you know that they also carry one copy of the DT gene since this is all the DT parent has to give. Only one, because they obviously are not DTs themselves. This means they are plakats with DT geno. Genotype pkpkSTdt, where pk = plakat, ST = single tail, and dt = double tail.

If you breed two siblings together, you will get all plakats because it is a recessive gene expressed in both parents, but with the DT trait, each parent could either throw a gene for single tail or a gene for DT. So possible genotypes of the resulting fry are as follows:
STST if both parents throw the single tail gene
STdt or dtST if one throws single tail and the other throws DT
dtdt if both throw the DT gene

Since single tail is dominant over DT, fish carrying even just one copy of the ST gene will be single tail. This means that 3 out of the four possible genotypes will be single tailed, and one will be DT -- 3:1 ratio, or 75% single tail, 25% DT.
And I would know wich genotype is how?

these are called Punnet squares and are the most basic way to explain how Dominant and recessive traits interact. the mother's genes are listed at the top and the father's genes are listed on the side.

each parent contributes one gene to each baby. each square represents a potential genetic combination. each square also represents 25% of the potential offspring.

for example, in the first Punnet, two Dr genotypes are crossed. this produces 25% DD, 50% Dr, and 25%rr.

if you still don't get it, perform a Google search for "Punnet Square" and "Genetics"

punnets.JPG

Ha, I understand almost maybe!
We did one of those in school last yeaer...

these are called Punnet squares and are the most basic way to explain how Dominant and recessive traits interact. the mother's genes are listed at the top and the father's genes are listed on the side.

each parent contributes one gene to each baby. each square represents a potential genetic combination. each square also represents 25% of the potential offspring.

for example, in the first Punnet, two Dr genotypes are crossed. this produces 25% DD, 50% Dr, and 25%rr.

if you still don't get it, perform a Google search for "Punnet Square" and "Genetics"

View attachment 31345
Hey! This is how to figure out the probability of colors! Thanks!

So this means 50% will be be plakat DT geno, 25% will be pure plakat, and 25% will be DT?

And you are so right, OA, it is propability maths. There are no short term guarantees.

But what would a chart show for your pair? Plug them in the formula.

I really can't right now, I will tonight, first off, I need to know what people consider my male betta and female betta to be to figure that out.
Male:
DSC01596.jpg

Female:
dsc017336oh.jpg

Too bad UI didn't pay close attention.
That graph made it alittle clearer for me personally. but not crystal.
but hey, I'm still young. ;)

If they are Synirr's she has told you and us all several times. It has even been posted in this thread. :p

Oh I thought we were talking about fins. :lol: I must have lost track. hehe

Plug your bettas tail genetics in the chart pica_nuttalli gave you.

Most reactions

Back