Synirr Baby Betta Question

Ok Ethos, I'm trying to figure out tail types, even though the book I just checked out told me about tail types, geno types, I still am having a hard time getting it, and everyone is giving me rude comments about I dont' deserve to breed cause I don't know about tail types, but that is waht the whole topic is about. I really need an in depth explanation.

I agree, armor. It's your thread, and you are just asking for information. Civility is a requirement for the free exchange of ideas.

I think not everyone got on your case. :no:

I agree, armor. It's your thread, and you are just asking for information. Civility is a requirement for the free exchange of ideas.

I think not everyone got on your case.
Eh, lets all move to canada and be happy, eh?
OA knows a ton more than me about bettas, all I know is what VTs, DT, and ST are.

Now back to your local broadcasting

Problem is I know little and understand nothing about tail types. :*)

Ethos: Huh? Is that a saying in Saint Paul? :*

Problem is I know little and understand nothing about tail types. :*)

Ethos: Huh? Is that a saying in Saint Paul? :*
No, it's more like Please wait five minutes for the local broadcasting.

Than it takes five hours.

BTW, armor and Ethos, I think you misunderstood pica_nuttalli. He was on your side.

Oops!

Splashluff doesn't need me to defend her any more than you do. She was blunt about what she thinks, that's all. Let's see if you can get the answers or instruction you are looking for and avoid the distractions.

Gotta go to work. Play nice boys and girls. :nod: :D

If Plakat is the base fin type of the species from which all the other Splendens were developed, how is it that the part left out of the description is that a HM Splendens is has the full long tail?
In the hobby long-finned fish are generally more popular and common, so it's just not considered something that's worth mentioning... a fish is assumed to be long-finned unless it is specifically stated otherwise. This may also have to do with the fact that the long-finned trait is dominant :dunno:

oppositearmor, here's a breakdown of the info on tail types. As you may know, most animals carry two copies of every gene, one from each parent. If a trait is dominant, then if the gene for it is carried it doesn't matter what the other copy of the gene is, the dominant trait is what you're going to see. If it's recessive, you need two copies of it to be able to see the effects of the gene.

Doubletail is recessive
Single tail is dominant

Long fins is dominant
Short fins (plakat) is recessive

Given this, you know that all my fish carry two copies of the plakat gene and will only produce plakats if bred to another plakat because this is the only gene either parent has to give. Since one of their parents was DT, you know that they also carry one copy of the DT gene since this is all the DT parent has to give. Only one, because they obviously are not DTs themselves. This means they are plakats with DT geno. Genotype pkpkSTdt, where pk = plakat, ST = single tail, and dt = double tail.

If you breed two siblings together, you will get all plakats because it is a recessive gene expressed in both parents, but with the DT trait, each parent could either throw a gene for single tail or a gene for DT. So possible genotypes of the resulting fry are as follows:
STST if both parents throw the single tail gene
STdt or dtST if one throws single tail and the other throws DT
dtdt if both throw the DT gene

Since single tail is dominant over DT, fish carrying even just one copy of the ST gene will be single tail. This means that 3 out of the four possible genotypes will be single tailed, and one will be DT -- 3:1 ratio, or 75% single tail, 25% DT.

Being part detective I am led off subject and want to know, where does that long tail dominant gene come from in a family that is short finned? So much for purity!

I think your pupil is beddy bye. B)

Most reactions

Back