Switching Small Gravel To Sand - Suggestions On How

Akasha72 said:

Okay so now you have your sand washed and ready so it's time to remove the gravel. I've found the best way to do this is to use your net and a colunder, have the colunder (and I've just realised your in the U.S and might not know what one is - it's what you use to drain vegetable a round bowl with holes in)
Sorry, this is totally off topic, but I would like to point out that we in the US know what colanders are. I'm a bit curious as to why you were under the impression that we don't. 
smile.png

How am I supposed to know what they are called in the U.S?! I'm British! Only a few days ago I was talking to an American friend by email and said I was going to see a physio and he didn't know what I meant! I now think before I type because what we call things here in the U.K can be totally different in the U.S.

And another thing. This forum won't even allow me to type the name of a female dog because in the U.S it's classed as a swear word. I'm doing my best to consider the language barrier but if I'm going to get picked on for it I won't bother in future. Maybe I should just reply to topics from U.K members then I don't offend anyone in my attempts to just be a nice person and consider that they might not follow what I'm trying to say.
I'm actually really upset by that comment. There was no need for it

Faucet and tap
Pants and trousers
Sidewalk and pavement

What's the phrase? Two countries separated by a common language, or something like that. 

Anyway, let's get the thread back on topic, please, people. 

Before we get too off topic, let me interject...the best action is to type in your own dialect and if others have questions about meaning let them ask or use Google to discover the meaning. No need to debate language. Even in parts of the US words mean slightly or drastically different things just from one state to another. 

San O Fisher said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VfkkunBi3V0

I might do it this way in a week or so. My thought is to do it over 2 sessions as I have read some positive things about that.

Please note in that video, that the fellow was using 'aquarium' sand.  If you are going to use play sand (which is much finer and much dirtier) you will not have nearly the same level of success!  Trust me on that.  I tried it once just to see if play sand would work as well as this.  It doesn't.  

Also, removing it in two sessions, while it would take less time per session for the fish, the muck you kick up will be a problem and spread over the whole tank, not just the section you are working on.

IMO, the way to attack something like this is either all or nothing.  No half measures can work.  It would be far more stressful on the fish to do this to them twice than just once.  

I just watched that video, and in my view this will absolutely not work for a complete change-over.  His method is fine for adding sand to an existing tank (I do something similar when I need to add a bit here or there) but not for an overhaul.

The other members who have advised to set up a temporary tank and move the fish into it, are correct.  The stress on fish from the amount of work needed to remove the existing gravel, add new sand, and then aquascape, would be considerable.  Not to mention that when you pull up an existing substrate that has been there for even a year, there will be an incredible mess.  Last week I got around to resetting my 70g, and after I pulled up the first plant, I could not even see the sand, the water turned so brown.  You will also encounter anaerobic zones (these are normal, and natural, and even necessary to the biology) under wood or rock, and this can really be messy.  No point in poisoning the fish.

You can set up the temp tank with water from the main tank, and move the filter and heater over.  Then you can take your time building the new setup.

I use play sand exclusively now, and yes, it is dirty, but I don't aim to get it that clean.  Several rinses in a pail, and in it goes.  With the tank empty of water with just the rinsed sand, arrange the hardscape.  Add water, to half the tank or more, and make any adjustments.  Then drain completely, and refill with the water running into a large bowl to avoid disrupting the sand.  There will be some cloudiness, but you can let this dissipate before adding fish.  I frequently use API's Accu Clear the day I finish the aquascape, and let that sit a couple days before adding the fish.  The attached photo is my 70g as of Sunday; I added the rinsed sand Wednesday, arranged the wood on Thursday, revised the wood and planted on Friday and Saturday, and took the photo Sunday morning.  Fish (100) went in yesterday (Monday).

Attachments

• 70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
Akasha72 said:

Okay so now you have your sand washed and ready so it's time to remove the gravel. I've found the best way to do this is to use your net and a colunder, have the colunder (and I've just realised your in the U.S and might not know what one is - it's what you use to drain vegetable a round bowl with holes in)
Sorry, this is totally off topic, but I would like to point out that we in the US know what colanders are. I'm a bit curious as to why you were under the impression that we don't. 
smile.png

How am I supposed to know what they are called in the U.S?! I'm British! Only a few days ago I was talking to an American friend by email and said I was going to see a physio and he didn't know what I meant! I now think before I type because what we call things here in the U.K can be totally different in the U.S.

And another thing. This forum won't even allow me to type the name of a female dog because in the U.S it's classed as a swear word. I'm doing my best to consider the language barrier but if I'm going to get picked on for it I won't bother in future. Maybe I should just reply to topics from U.K members then I don't offend anyone in my attempts to just be a nice person and consider that they might not follow what I'm trying to say.
I'm actually really upset by that comment. There was no need for it

I apologize for that, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Blough said:
I apologize for that, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
That's a very nice gesture! 

Now on to the fish stuff! 

I'm in the camp that removes my fish then my gravel when I'm making a change. There will be an impact on bacteria but the filtration media should be enough to prevent a full on cycle. 

As for cleaning it...I keep mostly marine tanks and use aragonite sand. I usually buy live sand so I don't rinse it (that would kill the bacteria) but when I buy dry sand I do run it through a few times to clean it up. Mostly because it has dust which clouds the tank for longer than I care to let it. 

Loving the tank Byron.  It doesn't look like a new setup, it looks like it's been established for ages. 
good.gif

Far_King said:
Loving the tank Byron.  It doesn't look like a new setup, it looks like it's been established for ages. 
good.gif

Thanks very much.  An advantage of rebuilding a tank using plants you've had for some time means you get that "established" look right from the start rather than waiting for plants to grow in.  The biological system of course is not established, but with all the bacteria on the wood (from other tanks) and plants, it does have a headstart there too.

just here to say apology accepted. 

Most reactions

Back