Surface Skimmer

yorkcoparamedic

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is a great add on to your canister filter for only $12.79

It cleared the surface of my tank in about 20 minutes. I was getting a build up of floating debris and slime on the surface of the water. Gone now!

Anyone else use this thing? If so what do you think of it?

Any chance of letgting us know the brand and model, I'd be interested in checking it out.

I bought the Fluval surface skimmer for my canister and all I got was a LOT of microbubbles all over my tank. I adjusted it constantly with no progress. Any tips on your success with it?

I bought the Fluval surface skimmer for my canister and all I got was a LOT of microbubbles all over my tank. I adjusted it constantly with no progress. Any tips on your success with it?

I only run the skimmer for about 30 or 40 minutes a night. That is all it seems to need to keep things clean. When I go away for the weekend I just adjust the skimmer so it barely dips down into the water. So it only pulls a trickle of water in. So far so good, very little micro bubbles.

I would think that micro bubbles are going to happen regardless. As the skimmer pulls water down the tube it is going to pull some air in as well as any bubbles on the surface.

No probs, looks like a nifty bit of kit, think i will have to invest in one
To be honest, it is somewhat superfluous in a SW tank. The higher flows in a SW tank should pretty much stop any surface film of protein forming (especially if you are skimming to remove the proteins). If you do have a film forming, it is probably best to consider the positioning of any powerheads in the tank.

Yes after I added a second PH and aimed it at the surface to help regulate my water temp any surface buildup not taken away by the skimmer was pushed away. I do agree with you that they are most likely not needed in the salt tank, but they do seem to have a some benefit (floating particles, uneaten foods, dog hairs, and other floating debris). I would place this in the not really needed but nice to have category.

Prior to the second PH it really did clean off the surface of the tank really well. I do recommend this product to anyone that needs surface cleaning that is not being cleaned by normal filter intake or skimmer.

I had trouble with thick scum on my 24G. The problem is that the intake goes way below the surface and the surface was untouched. The skimmer really made a difference. One of the earliest surface skimmers thought up for the 24G was simply one half of a cassette case:

nano43.jpg

SH

i think cutting slits in that cassette tape would be better just because a fish or a shrimp can somehow work its way over. If the slits are there, there is still some plastic sticking up on top to prevent them from going over.

Most reactions

Back