Supraking's First Tank

ty, i liked the stand too:) plus it matches my tv stand:)
cost me £120 with everything but the fish, not too bad i think

thanks mate, wot colour gravel u get? it is only a cheapish one, and once i get a bigger house ill be getting a second hand big one:) and I WILL be doing a fishless cycle and making sure all fish are correct, for now it will have to do

I just got the natural gravel colour, its ok like but i like the sharp green plants with the white gravel...makes it all stand out really well

yup, shame ud end up with a mini cycle, if u loose ur fish in some freak accident, buy some:)

phew, i don't think the sucking loach is a CAE thankfully, he looks like either an otto or a siamese algae eater, both of which are much better for your tank. can you get a few more pics of it so we can get a positive ID

ok cool. ill get out the camera again and try getting it out of a corner cheers

right it was abit of a pain to get, but this ones lovely:)..

loachonrock.JPG

second one:)
loachopen.JPG
sry that ones abit blurry it was hard to get some better photos:)

hope it is a small one, dont want to see it go. but if it is gunna get too big i have a new home for it sorted

It looks like an otto to me. I have 2 in my tank and don't have an algae problem. SAE will get a little bigger and won't eat as much algae once they discover flakes. It could be a flying fox (false siamese algae eater), they get lazy also once they get bigger. Your tank is really coming a long.

ty, so how big it gunna get?
also just done a water change. and i noticed my 3 remaining neons might have white spot? which is a b***** as i dont got no money for the treatment until thursday, any ideas on a way to prolong the life of the lil nippers till then? all 3 of the other fish seem fine altho i have noticed the scissortail seems to be swimming around eraticly and no longer stays schooling with the neons? can it know of the disease? and so avoiding them?

by the way to who ever said removing gravel would meen a mini cycle i'm pretty sure this is wrong there is little beneficial bacteria in the gravel its mainly in the filter correct me if im wrong

ty, so how big it gunna get?
also just done a water change. and i noticed my 3 remaining neons might have white spot? which is a b***** as i dont got no money for the treatment until thursday, any ideas on a way to prolong the life of the lil nippers till then? all 3 of the other fish seem fine altho i have noticed the scissortail seems to be swimming around eraticly and no longer stays schooling with the neons? can it know of the disease? and so avoiding them?

mmm yeah i think it's an otto which is excellent news, he'll get to 3" tops and he'd appreciate a few friends, do best in groups of 3/4+

raise the temp to 28oC, add some salt to the water (this is how fishkeepers treated whitespot before meds were commonly available) i'd also do plenty of water changes to keep the water quality tip top

by the way to who ever said removing gravel would meen a mini cycle i'm pretty sure this is wrong there is little beneficial bacteria in the gravel its mainly in the filter correct me if im wrong

in theory your right although it's not unknown, if the filter is not strong enough for the bio load then more bacteria will grow elsewhere like in the gravel. also if the gravel hasn't been cleaned properly then it'll have loads of waste in it, stirring this up when you change the gravel can cause a mini cycle as the bacteria struggles to process the ammonia. however in a well maintained, sensibly stocked and filtered tank it shouldn't cause any problems

:good:

damn. woke up this mornin to find 2 more neons had died. the scissortail seems fine but only schools with the remaining neon now and again and only for a short time. the others seem fine. so now ur saying its a good idea to get a few more of the loaches? also will ordinary table salt do the job?

those loaches prefer to be kept in groups, however it depends if you have room in the tank, also never add new fish while others are poorly.

providing the salt has no caking agents it's fine, just check the ingredients it should be plain sodium chloride :good:

That's not an otto. Looks like a juvenile CAE to me.

hmmmm not sure

here are some clearer pics of all the species it's possible to be and the OP can then ID it as they can see it best

otto

otto-cat.jpg

siamese alage eater (aka flying fox)

siamese_algae_eater_6.jpg

chinese algae eater

algae-eater.jpg

Most reactions

Back