Sump skimmer advioce

magic

Reaction score
I'm running a sump with a bio system and algea as a filter medium. I think I will need a skimmer to assist with the bulk of the mess. Trouble is a prizm (which appears to be the one that underskims-what I think I need) hasn't got a long enough pick-up pipe to reach the water level (I dont think). I need to reach about 4 1/2 " into the sump to be under the water level when its all running.

Any advice welcome.

Get yourself a nice in sump style skimmer and place it directly in the sump.

Do not worry about overskimming. With your skimmer placed in the sump, it won't happen.

GL

Look who is back! Hi GL! Didja get any of my recent messages???

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as overskimming. Not sure where you are located or what sort of tank you have but Premium Aquatics now lists some pretty cool looking and inexpensive Euro-Reef knock-offs for smaller tanks.

Hey GL why do you say with a skimmer in the sump you wont overskim? i thought most of the protiens get caught up in the top layers of water, and if thats getting sucked down to the skimmer surely you be skimmer more protiens than if the skimmer was in the tank, if you have a overflow box that is.

Look who is back! Hi GL! Didja get any of my recent messages???

Sorry Joel, I did get some mail from you. It was like a day or so before I went to Mehico for a couple weeks. I'll try and do some reviewing in the next few days and give you a shout.

Hey GL why do you say with a skimmer in the sump you wont overskim?

I wondered if someone would call me on that after I typed it. I have been doing some researching on nutrient removal lately. Mainly to try and combat my hair algae troubles.

I run across an interesting article on skimming that made a lot of sense. IT explained how a typical skimmer in the sump, that is, running off a pump placed in the sump itself, is inefficient. The author explained how dissolved organics are easily passed through the sump and returned back to the display. Makes sense when you think about it.

He explained the most efficient way to skim is to have the skimmer fed directly with the overflow water from the display, then into the sump. What you do is run your skimmer out of a pre-sump sump,(gosh, the reef habit continues to get confusing doesn't it?), then any overflow from the display goes either into the skimmer, or the sump will accept what the skimmer is unable to process in terms of volume.

IT does make sense when you consider it. The water coming directly from the display will have the most concentrated dissolved organics when expressed as PPM of water. once it enters your sump, the PPM ratio decreases, thereby decreasing your skimmers efficiency. And the way some of us try to have the largest sumps we can, this would further decrease the effectivness of the skimmer.

GL

I agree totally with you GL. I just set up a RR 125 FOWLR. I bought a Euro-Reef CS8-2 Re-circ. I T'd off one of my drains to feed the skimmer. I still haven't recived it yet, but I'll hook it up when it comes and I'll post some pics. Jim

well it does kinda make sense, good thing my sump is a mere 50 liters, and the compartment with my skimmer is about 10 and my skimmer pump is a 2000l/h pump so i think i might be safe

Most reactions

Back