Suitable Pleco For Malawi Tank?

MikeO

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a suitable Pleco that I want to put into my Malawi tank.

I have so far on my list:

Bristlenose
Rubber lip

Is there anything else that will be ok with the water paramaters? Everything I like the look of likes acidic water and is totally unsitable!

How big is your tank?
Check out "Violet Red Bruno" L137 (guessing on the L number(?)
I have heard of one forum user having one in a Tanganyikan tank...... :good:

Yes, as 'Kiriyama' suggested the L137 or as I know it Violet Cochliodon(L137) is ideal :good:

My lfs has several permanent Malawi set ups with mature Violet Cochliodon(L137) in each of them.

I have had one in my Tanganyikan set up since a tiddler and it is about 5" now. It always has been able to stick up for it's self and no one bothers it now.

Not cheap though :rolleyes:

IMG_1080.jpg

Is that your chap in the photo? Bueatiful species. I have had varying feedback on this from other sources - my LFS could not locate the exact species and advised an L144 (which I am not keen on) and Planet Catfish advised that the L137 might not be happy at the required pH for Mbuna, however I expect my tank to sit at 7.5 - 8.0 max rather than the 8.5, so I think it would be ok.

Price isnt really an issue, but sourcing sounds like it might be. How much do you think I would be looking to pay for a 1" - 2" juvenille doresy? I will have to vist some places near by to see who can get one in for me.

Am I right in thinking they also eat wood? I have some mopani which has been soaking for 6 weeks but its still releasing a large amount of tannins and am not keen on having dark water in the tank, so may need to find an old piece from somewhere thats no longer releasing tannins.

I've scouted a healthy little bristlenose at a LFS, but am open to other options as well for my malawi tank.

Is that your chap in the photo? Bueatiful species. I have had varying feedback on this from other sources - my LFS could not locate the exact species and advised an L144 (which I am not keen on) and Planet Catfish advised that the L137 might not be happy at the required pH for Mbuna, however I expect my tank to sit at 7.5 - 8.0 max rather than the 8.5, so I think it would be ok.

Price isnt really an issue, but sourcing sounds like it might be. How much do you think I would be looking to pay for a 1" - 2" juvenille doresy? I will have to vist some places near by to see who can get one in for me.

Am I right in thinking they also eat wood? I have some mopani which has been soaking for 6 weeks but its still releasing a large amount of tannins and am not keen on having dark water in the tank, so may need to find an old piece from somewhere thats no longer releasing tannins.

Yes, the picture is of my actual fish but when it was very new and in my smaller Tang set up. He is now a healthy size and very impressive. When I bought it the mark up price was £25 but I paid £18 as I was buying some Tanganyikans at the same time. All prices around me seem high.......how does that compare with other member's areas?

I was expecting about £20. £25 would be ok.

How fast do they grow? My tank is only 4ft, so whilst the volume is decent a lot of that is from depth. I wouldnt want to have to rehome one too quickly if they are fast growers.

That pic is awesome - I hope I can find an example as good as yours. Having trouble at the moment finding one. All the shops I have spoken to so far cant get one. Might have to have a trip out to some places when I have a free day!

I was expecting about £20. £25 would be ok.

How fast do they grow? My tank is only 4ft, so whilst the volume is decent a lot of that is from depth. I wouldnt want to have to rehome one too quickly if they are fast growers.

That pic is awesome - I hope I can find an example as good as yours. Having trouble at the moment finding one. All the shops I have spoken to so far cant get one. Might have to have a trip out to some places when I have a free day!

This may be a bit too far from you........ L137

Funnily enough I had seen that already on Aquarist and did consider it, but its a little too far really and its a little larger than I would like. Really want a juvenile or at least something a little smaller.

I have emailed a few more places not too far from me tonight and going out for a run on Sunday to a couple of places.

Most reactions

Back