Suggestions for my 3ft...???

Paul_MTS

MAD
Reaction score
In the next month my 3ft fish will be in a lovely new 4ft setup which leaves my 3ft to be played aorund with a bit!!

i'm not too sure what to stick in there though.

I'm considered a nice puffer and thats about it, it would probable be a GSP.

are there any nice largish cichlids that i could put in there?

all suggestions welcome especially ones that eat neons!!

the tank would be 36"x12" and probable 15-18" high. (i'm replacing the actual tank as my tanks a funny size 3ft..it's complecated!!)

volume would be about 25gallons (UK)/ 113l

Looking at liveaquaria for a couple of fish, the firemouth cichlid can be kept in a 30 gallon tank. Not sure if it would eat neons, but at 6" it might.

Why exaclty do you want fish that could eat neons? Breeding neons as food or something?

Going for large, display fish, right?

Yeh just found the firemouths in my book, they look pretty nice.

eating neons is just a bonus as I have a general hate for them!!- I work in a fish shop and having poeple ask for 15 neons constanly gives you a hate for the fish!!

you would be right, nice sized showy display fish!

Why not get a GSP with a few medium sized cichlids? Both species tolerate brackish alkaline water and both will probably eat neons :D

Hey Paul, I reckon that tank will be a minimum of 28g if it is 15" high, and more like 34g if it is 18" high, so you could go for a pair of Convicts in there. Don't know if they'll eat neons, but as much as I don't like them either, I only occasionally give my fish feeders. I tend to use river shrimp as the live food I give them!!

paul_v_biker said:

eating neons is just a bonus as I have a general hate for them!!- I work in a fish shop and having poeple ask for 15 neons constanly gives you a hate for the fish!!

Paul; you are aware that deliberatly feeding live fish
to other fish is illegal in the UK? You could be prousicuted
under the animal cruelty act.

The-Wolf said:
paul_v_biker said:

Paul; you are aware that deliberatly feeding live fish
to other fish is illegal in the UK? You could be prousicuted
under the animal cruelty act.
R U SERIOUS!

Yep i'm aware of that which is a stupid law!!

I get alot of platty fry anyways so they will probable be on the menu and maybe any other fry that get given to the shop.

I'm liking the convicts!! also the idea of the GSP with some cichlids, the weekend boy at work has a few in a brackish tank with a puffer i think, i don't agree with some of his stocking though so didn't consider it!!

Will have to check on the dimensions/volume but I'm pretty sure my stand will only take a 12" wide although i could over lap a bit theres 's the hood to consider!! It will deffinately be 18" or higher though.

Would any of the for-mentions cichlids go well with a couple of angels in that size tank? we get some lovely ones in!!

or what kind of size ciclids would i be looking at to go with a GSP? 3inch...4inch??

cheers

nah i'm just a bad fish keeper and add any old fish to see if it's compatiby!!

if there's a law about stopping feeder fish there should be a law about bad fish keepers aswell, atleast a feeder fish has a quick death!!

Working in a LFS in just 3 weeks work i'ved heard some mad things!!

I think i'm going with convicts, i'ved also sourced some localish fully gorwn ones!!.

although i would still like some more info on the GSP with cichlids idea....???

Aquascaper said:
Why not get a GSP with a few medium sized cichlids? Both species tolerate brackish alkaline water and both will probably eat neons :D
Actually, I was told, when I was going to get my GSPs, that they would not go with cichlids.

rvm___________________Posted on Oct 10 2004, 08:01 AM
Hey Paul, I reckon that tank will be a minimum of 28g if it is 15" high

I made it 25gals for 16" high! :p ;)

Errr...yeah, I dunno, it's up to you, but I wouldn't go with the whole cichlid thing anyway...

Puffer_freak said:
Aquascaper said:
Actually, I was told, when I was going to get my GSPs, that they would not go with cichlids.

rvm___________________Posted on Oct 10 2004, 08:01 AM
Hey Paul, I reckon that tank will be a minimum of 28g if it is 15" high

I made it 25gals for 16" high! :p ;)

Errr...yeah, I dunno, it's up to you, but I wouldn't go with the whole cichlid thing anyway...
Nope, 16" high would be 29.9 Gallons. Just so you know, I work in US gallons simply because most other people on here do and it causes less confusion!!!

Glad to hear you're going with Convicts Paul, let's have some pics when you get them, and let us know how you get on with them!!

I'm not fully decided!! actually i probable am :rolleyes: !!

is there anything apart from the odd cleaner plec that could live with them happily?

also what sort of set up would they enjoy?

first i have to buy a 4ft tank, change all my 25g fish and set up over to that tank and get that running smoothly. Then buy a new 3ft made to order tank which i can't fill til a certain date!! then set that up and get the fish!!

Most reactions

Back