Species-only stocking advice for 55g

I tend to disagree. They are shallow water fish that like small spaces and shallow tanks. In larger tanks you never see them and they are scared. Plop them in a smaller tank and suddenly you have a stunning fish that i just wrote. But above 30 cm And it is not it
Just basing it on experience. I had them in a 40 long , a 120cm tank, and they were great in there. I'd never keep that fish, or any adult fish, in a 30cm.

It's a difference in what you want to see. I'm sure your set up works for you. I'm certain the streams they come from are bigger than 30cm, and they can easily adjust to larger tanks.

Either way - it's a great fish.

Is that 13” wide or 13” high? :)
13" from front to back. 21" tall, 48" long. The narrow front to back dimension is why I wouldn't put anything too large in there. I dont want the space to feel cramped for the residents.

Oscars are my favourite soft water cichlid, but your tank could be a great home for any number of small species... Apistogramma, Pelvicachromis (kribs and their relatives), Laetacara, Bolivian Rams...

But cichlids would mean a pair, which means breeding if they’re “happy” (I would never keep a lone cichlid). You’d also very probably need a group of dithers to make them feel safe.

Oscars are my favourite soft water cichlid, but your tank could be a great home for any number of small species... Apistogramma, Pelvicachromis (kribs and their relatives), Laetacara, Bolivian Rams...

But cichlids would mean a pair, which means breeding if they’re “happy” (I would never keep a lone cichlid). You’d also very probably need a group of dithers to make them feel safe.

I would love to have oscars. The grumpy faces are so endearing. If only I had a larger tank. ~Sigh!~ Maybe one day... :)

I will look up the other species you mention. Thank you!

I would love to have oscars. The grumpy faces are so endearing. If only I had a larger tank. ~Sigh!~ Maybe one day... :)

I will look up the other species you mention. Thank you!
What about a green terror cichlid? They're quite pretty and 55g is just enough for one fish (according to the internet). They're also plant friendly, which could make a cool tank.
Here's the link: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/andinoacara-rivulatus/

Edit: never mind saw that you already thought of this species

Edit 2: These aren't cichlids, but what about african butterfly fish? I was enthralled by these for a while until I realized that they were wholly unfeasible for my community purposes. However, with a tank as long as yours, you could perhaps keep maybe 4 or 5 of them, and perhaps even try to breed. THey're also recommended for single-species tanks as well so that would be cool. Here's a cool video with lots of info on them:

Last edited:
What about a green terror cichlid? They're quite pretty and 55g is just enough for one fish (according to the internet). They're also plant friendly, which could make a cool tank.
Here's the link: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/andinoacara-rivulatus/

Edit: never mind saw that you already thought of this species

Edit 2: These aren't cichlids, but what about african butterfly fish? I was enthralled by these for a while until I realized that they were wholly unfeasible for my community purposes. However, with a tank as long as yours, you could perhaps keep maybe 4 or 5 of them, and perhaps even try to breed. THey're also recommended for single-species tanks as well so that would be cool. Here's a cool video with lots of info on them:

African butterfly fish look really cool but from what I've read they mostly stay still near the top of the water. I'm looking for something more active.

Definitely no breeding as I have nowhere to put babies.

I'm starting to look at the "earth eater" cichlid types. I've never heard of that before as I've never previously considered cichlids. I will be doing some research on the different types and ones that might be suitable in my aquarium size. I have sand substrate and the behavior of foraging and digging is very interesting to me. If anyone knows of a good possibility, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back