Subtropical/Temperate stocking ideas

If you are doing subtropical and overlapping it with temperate water (but completely subtropical tolerant) you can access a whole bunch of slightly "off the beaten path" freshwater fish.

In a small tank you could try things like:
-Florida Flag Fish
-rosy minnows
-some of the pygmy sunfish (elassoma) are beautiful.

In a larger tank you could maybe get away with:
-larger sunfish which are as exotic looking as anything tropical, but much rarer to find in aquariums.

For some non-fish that might be interesting:
-most of the standard snails still work
  • - mystery,
  • - ramshorn,
  • - etc..
-many of the popular shrimp work down into the high 60s (F):
  • -all neocardinia (such as red cherry shrimp)
  • -tiger shrimp
  • -Amano shrimp
-you could try adding a single asian golden clam if you are 30 gallons or over.

To really mix it up in a slightly larger tank you could add maybe an eastern newt. Newts might be a little more work than you would like and require some above the water space, but unlike the tropical newts which are voracious consumers of tank-fish (including some tropical newts will try to eat cory cats killing both of them in the process) the eastern newt probably won't eat anything larger then fish-fry. You may need some extra hides present in the tank though as apparently corys and newts are looking for exactly the same type of hiding spaces to rest and relax in so they both can get stressed if there aren't enough to go around for both of them.

Thanks Russ - going to contact my LFS today, see what theyve got/can get.
I'm not sure this matters too much, but as I'm getting another 6 cory.. would you get them in first before the barbs? You wouldnt attempt to add a dozen barbs and half a dozen cory in one go would you?

Last edited:
If you are doing subtropical and overlapping it with temperate water (but completely subtropical tolerant) you can access a whole bunch of slightly "off the beaten path" freshwater fish.

In a small tank you could try things like:
-Florida Flag Fish
-rosy minnows
-some of the pygmy sunfish (elassoma) are beautiful.

In a larger tank you could maybe get away with:
-larger sunfish which are as exotic looking as anything tropical, but much rarer to find in aquariums.

For some non-fish that might be interesting:
-most of the standard snails still work
  • - mystery,
  • - ramshorn,
  • - etc..
-many of the popular shrimp work down into the high 60s (F):
  • -all neocardinia (such as red cherry shrimp)
  • -tiger shrimp
  • -Amano shrimp
-you could try adding a single asian golden clam if you are 30 gallons or over.

To really mix it up in a slightly larger tank you could add maybe an eastern newt. Newts might be a little more work than you would like and require some above the water space, but unlike the tropical newts which are voracious consumers of tank-fish (including some tropical newts will try to eat cory cats killing both of them in the process) the eastern newt probably won't eat anything larger then fish-fry. You may need some extra hides present in the tank though as apparently corys and newts are looking for exactly the same type of hiding spaces to rest and relax in so they both can get stressed if there aren't enough to go around for both of them.
Wonderful advice, thank you.

An Asian Golden Clam sounds very exotic! Would never have considered a clam.. interesting.

Yes I recently discovered the pygmy sunfish, stunning fish, but a bit small I think for me. Haven't looked into any larger sunfish, apparently there are some in the lakes down in Sussex.

Again, i wouldve never considered a newt, thats something else for me to look into

Thanks again

Last edited:
Ive pulled out some of the anacharis to have floating instead... should I remove the roots that were previously below the substrate? I think it'd be aesthetically pleasing if I did but would it damage the plant?
IMG_20200702_162653.jpg

Thanks Russ - going to contact my LFS today, see what theyve got/can get.
I'm not sure this matters too much, but as I'm getting another 6 cory.. would you get them in first before the barbs? You wouldnt attempt to add a dozen barbs and half a dozen cory in one go would you?
Silk maples are artificial :)

Doesnt matter what order really, but id just go with 1 group at a time. Try getting the size group you want if possible. So if you intend to add 12 Odessa's add them all together. Settle in much better that way.

Anacharis will be fine if you cut the white roots off :good:

A lot of the Odessa barbs have clamped fins. Be careful buying them and make sure you quarantine any new fish, plants, snails, shrimp, etc for 4 weeks before adding them to the main display tank.

Thanks Colin, at least one in that pic does look like it could have a clamped fin. Unfortunately the only tank I have is my main one. It does feel like a huge risk to not properly quarentine considering the amount the setup has cost so far ..

Ask the shop if they will hold the fish for 2 weeks for you. Say you are going away for a holiday and don't want to add new fish just before you leave. Offer to pay for the fish up front and if they are good in 2 weeks time, then take them.

Otherwise get a spare tank or plastic storage container and use it as a quarantine tank.

Having said all that, it's preferable not to buy fish that have just come in because they are stressed from the move and the new water. Wait until they have been in the shop tanks for at least 1 (preferably 2) weeks before getting them so they have a chance to settle down and recover from being shipped to the shop.

Good idea.. better for fish to perish in their possession than in mine. Do you think buying fish online is any better?

Ask the shop if they will hold the fish for 2 weeks for you. Say you are going away for a holiday and don't want to add new fish just before you leave.
I manage to get away with that quite often.

Have been reading up on the Odessa and I'm just not happy that my tank would be big enough for them. They are RAPID fish and I can't help but feel like they'd need a 4ft at least. Plus theyre known for jumping and I don't have a lid (yet anyway).

Sunfish, I can't locate any here in the UK, the dwarf pygmy looks great but theyd need it colder than what the corys have.

I was looking at Apisto Borelli.. I'm concerned they could attack my 12 x Peppered Corys? Plus.. that's just more bottom dwellers really. They do sound like they'd be good in my setup as I have it with tannin stained water from leaf litter and driftwood.

I don't really want any big clumsy fish that can't handle a bit of flow as I have an extra powerhead to help with circulation for plants, plus the corys enjoy a swim in it.

I'm not sure if other rams would be ideal? Or are there any lower temp, decent sized tetras?

Appreciate any more great suggestions for me to go off and research. Thanks

Quick one..
I might be too late...

Actually, I don't like the look of Odessa Barbs.
They don't look pretty in fact they look ugly to me....

Why don't you choose other schooling fish? Tetras (Characin) , Rasboras ( Cyprinid) , Danios and other Barbs such as the Five Banded Barbs or Cherry Barbs, etc...
There are so many more beautiful & smaller fish that you can choose from.

Here are some schooling fish for you to choose.
Among the Tetras, my favourite is the Rosy Tetras (don't mix up with Bleeding Heart Tetras). It has beautiful white tips on its fins.

Among the Rasboras, the Espei is beautiful.

I think Apistogramma Borelli is the most peaceful compare to all other Apistogramma species.
It can be your centerpiece or even Cacatuoides or even Lyretail Killifish.

Blue Rams will require warmer water. Bolivian Rams will be ok.

Last edited:
Rosy Barbs have piqued my interest. From the tetras ive found only a couple upto now that will be ok at a colder temperature; buenos aires and bloodfin. Buenos Aires look nice. I'd love a couple of killifish or apisto as a centrepiece, so depending on which would be less nippy out of buenos aires and rosy barbs, I'd have 12-15 buenos aires or 10-12 rosy barb.

For the top layer, I like the look of Bengal or Galaxy danios, again that would have to be 12-15

Stocking number wise, for a 3ft 50 gallon, does
12 x cory, 15 x tetra/barb, 12 x danio, 2 x apisto/killi sound ok?

Most reactions

Back