Strange cycling...

UBigBobby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As you may know, I have 6 TB's in my undersized 10 gallon. I originally had 3. Well the tan was cycling fast, and I jumped the gun and bought 3 more before the tanks finished. Of course this was a mistake, and caused my cycled to be completely ruined. Ammonia and Nitrite levels shot up to 2.0PPm EACH for about 3 or 4 days, and then Ammonia dropped to 0. Nitrite still hovered at 2.0PPM for another 4 days or so...Thats right, 2.0PPM. Finally they fell.

Strange thing is...6 Tiger Barbs, which are very sensitive to Nitrite...ALL survived. They were pretty pale and had the simmies while the Ammonia and Nitrite were high...but as soon and that dropped they regained full color and activity despite the high Nitrite

So do i just have the tough guys of the TB world and lucked out that my fish were so damn tough...or is there something I don't know. I was reading how anything over 1 Nitrite was highly toxic and would most definately kill fish...yet my TB's all lived, and did not contract a single infection or sickness.

Strange...

Different fish react differently to toxins. I'm not familiar with how hardy TBs are but apparently they have done well. You should be doing daily water changes to keep the levels as low as possible until the tank finishes cycling.

We had a similar problem when we started out. Out of three Tiger Barbs only one survived but she's still with us and is at least as big as the other newer Tigers so I guess she was tougher. Tigers are great for spotting problems with water conditions because, as you have noticed, their stripes fade with stress or poor water parameters.

I think you've been lucky!

Good luck from now on. We only made that mistake once and the stress of watching perfectly healthy fish die due to our ignorance was not something I wanted to repeat!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

EVERY1 NOS THAT TIGER B ARE NOT HARDY FISH WHICH MEANS YOU NEED TO LET THE TANK CYLE FOR AT LEAST 6-8 WEEKS OR THEY WILL DIE

Blade118 said:
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

EVERY1 NOS THAT TIGER B ARE NOT HARDY FISH WHICH MEANS YOU NEED TO LET THE TANK CYLE FOR AT LEAST 6-8 WEEKS OR THEY WILL DIE
[snapback]873448[/snapback]​

Hey douche...its done now...I was simply telling a story about when it was. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Blade118 said:

[snapback]873448[/snapback]​
Actually, I had no clue they weren't hardy but then I've never had any or done any research on them. It's not necessarily common knowledge.

Most reactions

Back