Strange Buglike Creature

FilipeB

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
FilipeB said:
Hello again guys!

We've just put some fish into the tank today. It's so amazing to see ^^ I didn't really make an inventory, but it's only a handfull of mollies, neons, guppies and 2 clown leaches (to deal with snails) and 3 yamato shrimps (I just love them, they look awesome 
biggrin.png
).

I did however think I messed something up. I didn't realise I was meant to add declorinathor to the water BEFORE I changed the water in the tank. I'm afraid I might have killed my bacteria 
confused.gif
 I will do some ammonia testing first thing tomorrow morning.

I also found something unexpected. At first it looked like a bit from a plant, but them I noticed it looked like an animal, and then I was sure when it moved. I've managed to identify it as a Damselfly larva. Last I saw it, it went inside my filter. Not quite sure what to do now, as I read that they are predatory 
sad.png
 It was quite a beautiful looking insect, but if it's going to harm my fish tank, I need to get rid of it, but I don't know how.

Some pictures:
2ngd7iw.jpg

21917ci.jpg

98vez4.jpg

wcjqky.jpg

2q8olzs.jpg

t0oly8.jpg

sz95c0.jpg

Also, 3 little videos I took of him:
View My Video
View My Video
View My Video

P.S. I just learnt that damselfly larvae has got 3 tails, whilst the one I found only has 2. Also it's color is a lot more bright green than any of the damselfly larva photos I see on the internet. Any idea if it is really is a damselfly?

There are quite a few species that have two caudal gills but I'm stumped because the feathery appearance of these. I have a pond book I can look at when I get home if no one else knows it right off or if Google can't produce it.

Is it not one those those things that develop into a dragonfly?  What are they called... dameselfly or something like that?

I've googled quite a few terms, but I haven't found anything exactly like what I have. It might just be me sucking at googling though
confused.gif

Edit:
@fm1978 might be that one. Found one picture that does look like mine. Are they predatory and dangerous to a the fish tank? I have small fish, like mollies, guppies and neons and some yamato shrimps (though these are big)

ncguppy830 said:
so did you get rid of it?
Nope, still inside my filter. I want to know if it's dangerous, otherwise I'll just let it be, it's quite beautiful and I don't see the point in killing a creature if it's not going to harm anything.

FilipeB said:

Nope, still inside my filter. I want to know if it's dangerous, otherwise I'll just let it be, it's quite beautiful and I don't see the point in killing a creature if it's not going to harm anything.

not killing it but getting it out i wouldnt want that thing im my tank.

It looks like a damselfly nymph but it lacks the third caudal gill. Either it's hiding it and it's there, it got torn off, or it's some other kind of aquatic fellow.

My bet is that it's got the third one and it's just not been visible.

ncguppy830 said:

not killing it but getting it out i wouldnt want that thing im my tank.

Thing is, there's no place around here for me to put it in, I'm in a city, and I don't really know any water habitats nearby that I could put it in.

@PrairieSunflower
I think you might be right. It doesn't mention anything in that page about the way they are when in larva stage and what do they eat (which I'm hopping is not fish)

Many dragonfly larvae do eat fish. But I'm not sure about damselflies.

I'm almost certain that's a young damselfly nymph. Just can't see it being anything else... The missing 3rd paddle on the tail is a bit confusing, though. If you keep it and watch it and it definitely is a damselfly nymph, you should see it getting darker and darker and and perhaps growing back it's 3rd paddle.

They are pretty predatory, but, they're not harmful to your fish - unless you have teeny tiny fishies in there. They'll feed on micro-invertebrates and other types of larvae.

Shouldn't do any harm keeping it...until it grows up! 

On the plus side, I think the fact that it's a resident in your tank is a good indication that your water is pretty good!

Hmm, okay. Some of my fish seem to be pregnant, do you think the larvae might go hunting for them? As far as I can tell, the larvae doesn't swim, just crawls around surfaces so I think fish would be safe as long as they swim away from it? Yeah, I was thinking when it grows up, I just let it go, since it will fly off :) And the larvae is just on the filter, so it doesn't seem to be disturbing the fish in any way.

Most reactions

Back