Stones From My Local River

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elmo666, I think you are missing my point. Someone said taking rocks from the countryside may damage the ecosystem, go to your local fish shop. I am simply stating that there are a lot more horrors against the earth done at your local fish shop than by picking up a couple of old rocks, and it might not be a river bed either, a privately owned quarry, farmland (with permission) or even where I was in North Devon the other week, a privately owned harbour and slip way, where the owner was dredging rocks from the harbour and forming slag heaps.

I understood what you said. If you consider that some of what you see in lfs's are contributing to "horrors against the earth", then as I said n my earlier post the simple answer is not to go.

I mean where are these people getting 20 ft containers loads of mangrove root for export to the UK for aquariums? I dread to think what's been done to collect this...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/112895455/Mangrove_driftwood.html

I would guess local people searching riverbanks and tidelines for dead wood, collecting it and then selling it/getting paid to collect it?

That's a very quaint and idealistic view of how bog wood is collected aquascaper! When you look at the photos (of all different suppliers), it's all uniformed colored bogwood
like you see at your lfs, I think "driftwood" is just a euphemism. Anyway, I'm not preaching here, we've all bought bogwood. I am just contrasting shopping with "offshored ethics", with picking up rocks from
the countyside. Of course, if you pick up rocks in the country side and don't buy driftwood at your lfs, they make less money. ;)

Okay, everyone, rocks can explode, so what? It's not necessary to argue over what makes the rock explode, IT JUST DOES!

Okay, everyone, rocks can explode, so what? It's not necessary to argue over what makes the rock explode, IT JUST DOES!
So what? Highlighting potential effects that could lead to serious injury is a good reason to inform people who may be tempted to try it.

It's a lot more likely that people will heed the advice if they know the reasons behind it, hence the discussion.

Avoiding potential hazardous situations is more than enough reason to make a post, and I don't see the need to question it. If you disagree just ignore and boil them anyway. I am pretty sure the products designed to disinfect a tank will kill any nasties on rock. Personally, I soak them then give them a good going over with a stiff brush. And just to reiterate, if there is a chance a rock could explode splashing up boiling wate, however slim, it makes perfect sense to warn unsuspecting member of the possibility.

Yes, you wouldn't want to start boiling rocks, and end up getting stoned! ;)

Most reactions

Back