Stones From My Local River

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I guess it's feasible, I've not heard of it though. I normally place my portable bbq on rocks on the beach fairly often, and after a couple hours, the rocks are red hot, a lot hotter than
100 degrees, but I've not seen any of those types of rocks explode.

I guess it's feasible, I've not heard of it though. I normally place my portable bbq on rocks on the beach fairly often, and after a couple hours, the rocks are red hot, a lot hotter than
100 degrees, but I've not seen any of those types of rocks explode.
Which is why people used to use rocks that had been placed around a fire to warm their beds at night :)

Air can be compressed much much more then water (when heated, things want to expand which causes the pressure build up). To get air hot enough to expand enough to break the rock it would have to reach way over 100 degrees Celsius, this is why rock will 'explode in an oven if it is bone dry.

It is impossible for the air to cause rock to 'explode' when boiling as the process of boiling involves immersing the rock in water and therefore any trapped air will be forced out and replaced with water.....ergo, it is the water that causes the rock to shatter, not the air.

What about non porous rocks, how does the air get forced out? Does the trapped air not expand under the heat also?

Trapped air will expand when heated yes, but will compress much much more than water will therefore the temperatures needed to induce shattering are beyond the means of most conventional ovens.

Regardless of whether the rock is porous or non-porous there will be strata running through it which will contain water molecules. It is these molecules that cause the shattering not any trapped air.

most rocks "explode because of the temperature difference throughout its mass. (even when boiling in water, the rock is sitting on the bottom of the pan.
so its much hotter than the rest of the stone)
or because of faults not seen on the outside.
things like slate and sandstone, go off like grenades.

boiling rocks is plain dumb. and too dangerous for recommendation on this forum.

and whats the point, anyway?
boiling the whole thing, will not make it any safer than a good clean with boiling water, would!

if you are worried about water in the rock. freeze it first!
it'll still split. but in a more controlled manner.

Not meaning to cause a row but what are those stones they use on gas fires, the flames are curling round them all the time?

I imagine most rocks on the surface have been frozen many times throughout the various ice ages.

Not meaning to cause a row but what are those stones they use on gas fires, the flames are curling round them all the time?
most often they are not stones but composite ceramics.
i notice even Sauna stones are now man made ceramic.
even when they weren't, they were "specific" types of rock. not something picked up from the river.
stones with a high metal content, do fair well when heated.
but a fracture, caused by an impact, will still allow them to go BANG, just the same.

here its not so much, can some rocks be heated.
its more down to do we really know which rocks we have.
if we suggest boiling, and the member makes the wrong choice of rock, and it explodes.
who would you blame?
the law may well blame the member who offered the suggestion, and through that, this forum.

i wish i still had the pressure cooker in which a lovely bit of sea washed blue slate exploded. (though i was not using the pressure function)
it was like a wall when Wile e Coyote has run into it. a perfectly formed image of the bits that hit the sides.

and i still have a few, faded scares from rocks going pop, whilst camping as a kid.

The "rocks" used on gas fires are man made specifically for the job. That is why they are able to give you exact instructions how to place them for the correct flame pattern to be obtained.
Personally I think it is wrong to take them from our rivers. Buying them from a lfs is preferable, as our eco-system delicate enough.

Well I'm more worried about the eco system in the Amazon and Barrier Reefs and places you wish your lfs wasn't taking things from! ;)

Thats a strange post from a fishkeeper?? iMO the stuff in the lfs is there wether we buy it or not. However, taking it locally is something that can be controlled by us leaving it where it belongs, and as already pointed out it is an offence to take it. If what's in the lfs causes you concern, may I politely suggest you vote with your feet and don't buy from there

The ecological impact of a few people occasionally taking river stones from natural sources (yes it may be illegal where you live, disturbs a few bugs, etc.) is miniscule compared to the large scale dredging and quarrying that is done to supply companies with the material to sell.

If the person is environmentally aware whilst collecting a few stones I don't see any problem at all.

Sorry, you mis-understood my post. coolie said he was more concerned about the amazon and great barrier reef's eco system. I was merely trying to point out that there is little we can do about what is stocked in the lfs other than to not buy it. Simaraly there is little we can do as individuals to protect those eco-systems. However, we can do something about the local eco system......leave it where it is and support the lfs. I am not happy about what is happening to the worlds natural enviroments, my point also was that wether we buy these items/livestock from shops or not, we are not going to stop the trade unless we all gave up fish keeping. If it bothers anyone that much I was pointing out that they don't have to be involved in the hobby. Where do you stop?? Cars contribute massively to global warming, we are producing more greenhouse gases than ever before, the impact of this on nature is huge. The damage caused by our hobby by comparison is minmal. Another consideration is that many thousands of people rely on our hobby for employment and by supporting our lfs we complete the chain

Most reactions

Back