Stocking Questions For A Newbie

My tank is getting close to being cycled now, after adding ammonia to 5ppm. 15 hours later i checked and got readings of 0.5ppm ammonia and 0 nitrites. Previously to this it has been the ammonia that clears prior to the nitrites. I cant be too far away now. I hope!

Measure your nitrates. Sometimes the nitrIte phase can be short lived and you may miss the spike!

Sounds like you're doing very well!
I had a betta and 5 endlers in a round biOrb once with no problems, so 4 endlers should be okay :good:

my nitrate reading is off the chart

JG
Looks to me you've missed the nitrIte spike. :)
Once you have 0 readings on ammonia you can add your fish! You can add them all at once since you will have a well established bacteria colony after your fish-less-cycling.

I thought missing my nitrate spike was a bad thing when you first said it, but following on with you can add fish just made my day. I have 3 fish on hold at my LFS, ill get the shrimp at the same time 2. Havent managed to source a Betta im happy with yet, but now i really need to step up the hunt. If i cant get to the LFS until friday i assume i should keep adding the ammonia until the day before, do a 90% water change then add the fish.

JG

Sounds good! If you can't find a betta you like, maybe you could check online sites like bettaboys.co.uk and order one from there? :)

Ive been on their site and seen some amazing ones, how tempted am i with the big ear Betta's.

JG

They are beautiful! I had my eye on them myself but I don't have the room at the moment! I also really like the last boy left in the plakat section, he's been there for ages, poor guy! :D

I thought missing my nitrate spike was a bad thing when you first said it, but following on with you can add fish just made my day. I have 3 fish on hold at my LFS, ill get the shrimp at the same time 2. Havent managed to source a Betta im happy with yet, but now i really need to step up the hunt. If i cant get to the LFS until friday i assume i should keep adding the ammonia until the day before, do a 90% water change then add the fish.

JG
Oh, I'm sorry if I scared you with "missing the Nitrite phase". But I did have a smiley behind it, lol! :D

Now im split! There seems to have been an influx in Betta's of a high quality to my local area. Previously i couldn't find any i like. Now i have seen a selection! decisions decisions. Ive seen a very small bright red coloured one. It seems to have fins like a half moon. But the ends of the fins seem to lose the webbing and turn to points. Im not sure what sort this could be. The other alternative is a two tone purple and blue one, that one is much larger with long flowing fins. So my choice is a more ornamental flowing two tone, or an amazing single coloured that has short but an amazing structure of fins. HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!

JG

Also didn't see the size of the tank :p 4should be ok but I would add any more to that tank but like said pushing it for two reasons :p could get some Pygmy corydoras or micro rasboras with out pushing it instead of the endlers? I have 6 pygmys and a Betta in mine they all get on great and bio load is fine :)

Sorry, don't mean to interrupt the threat but I was just just wondering, is that 6 pygmys in a 30L Liquid skills? I have a similar sized tank but only have 4 seen as though I thought 6 might be pushing it, though if they seem to be fine I may consider adding another two.

Now im split! There seems to have been an influx in Betta's of a high quality to my local area. Previously i couldn't find any i like. Now i have seen a selection! decisions decisions. Ive seen a very small bright red coloured one. It seems to have fins like a half moon. But the ends of the fins seem to lose the webbing and turn to points. Im not sure what sort this could be. The other alternative is a two tone purple and blue one, that one is much larger with long flowing fins. So my choice is a more ornamental flowing two tone, or an amazing single coloured that has short but an amazing structure of fins. HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!

JG

I guess it's all down to personal preference in the end. I wouldn't wait around though, they'll be gone before you know it if they're stunners.

Unsure of what you might class that red one as. The points sound like a crowntail, though usually crowntails' "points" are more like spikes with little other 'finnnage'. The 'short finned' one you refer to is probably a plakat. They all sound lovely bettas, take your pick :good:

So i had to go back to look again. And decided to spend some time watching them. The red fish was very very agressive towards the bettain the ajoining tank. So i decided against that. And a tank at floor level caughtmy eye. in it was a stunning red and purple crown tail swimming nicely and very intrested in me when i approached. Needless to say i reserved him. I will go pick him up next week, as only yesterday my endlers went in with my shrimp and frogs.

JG

Oh and to add the great find, he was only £3.95. How good is that for a two tone crowntail?
JG

The betta sounds like a nice find to me.
Watch with the frogs though (presumably african dwarf frogs?). They will need careful feeding as they have poor eye sight. I've hear stories of them gripping onto bettas too, thinking that they're food, so I'd just be wary of that well. How many have you got?

Most reactions

Back